Is it possible to go from full-time to part-time and still maintain health benefits?

I'm a full-time teacher at a non-profit, but I resigned in order to stay home with my daughter. Well, the school provided a counteroffer that would allow me to work part-time in marketing and curriculum development--FROM HOME. Is it possible to negotiate health benefits as part of a part-time salary when you go from full- to part-time? What's the best way to go about this? (I don't have to work at all, but the perk of health benefits makes me want to stay on at least part-time if it's possible. So it's not salary I'm concerned with; it's insurance.)

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 7:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends upon what your employer offers. My job cuts the benefits at less than 32 hours/week.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The last job I had required 35 hours or more to get them. What would be the point? Seems like that's all you'd get out of it at that point.As lon as you are okay with that. Benefits are expensive!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Every job and company is different when it comes to this. I know for me, I work for the government and unless your 24 hours per week or more, you do not get health benefits. Talk to your employer and see what the policies are. If you don't meet the criteria, it might be tough for them to make an exception as that would not be fair to other employees, but it's worth trying!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the employer -- my company only offers insurance benefits to people who work full time (32 1/2hrs or more).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It doesn't hurt to ask... "That's a great offer, I'd like to continue working here in that capacity. But, to do so I would require health care to be part of the deal" .... or something like that. If you are not dealing with a large corporation they more likely have more flexibility in this area.
    The school system I work for you have to work at least 1040 hours/year to get beni's (that's PT).... of course I only work 700!! LOL

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• it depends on the employer and the state in which you live. NJ does not differentiate between full or part time. so it would be up to the employer.
    oceanspearl

Answer by oceanspearl at 8:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It depends on where you work. Some places have written policies about who gets benefits and who doesn't. It never hurts to ask! I work part time and get benefits, but it costs me more than it used to.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 8:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Most part time jobs don't offer insurance. But, seeing as they offered you a special position, you could try. Worst they'll say is no.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Depends I know starbucks offers anyone working 20 hours/week heatlh insurance and benefits.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If they don't offer insurance with the part time position then just look at it a little differently. You said you don't 'need' to work, you want the insurance, so......use the money that you will earn on the part time position to pay for private insurance. That way you are still getting what you ultimately want out of this situation.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010