How much formula for almost 1 month old?

I was breast feeding my son, and it was an uphill battle from the beginning. After working with a lactation specialist and trying several things, I give up. I guess I should say my breasts gave up. I went from producing about 4-5oz out of each breast every 2-3 hours then in a day went to producing maybe 3oz between the two of them, and now I can barely get 2. My son will eat anywhere from 3-5oz of breast milk per feeding. I know with formula he shouldnt eat as much. What is a good ballpark figure for an almost 10lb 1 month old?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say make up the 3-5 oz. of formula. You could try pumping more frequently, or for longer periods of time. Your breastmilk production should go back up with additional stimulation. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• fix a 6oz bottle and see how much the baby drinks, if he drinks all of it, that's fine if not....put the rest in the fridge for later. he'll stop drinking the formula when he is full...i never limited what my kids ate when they were on formula....if they were full they wouldn't take the bottle GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure what the answer is..but I have a 3 week old that weighs 8lbs 3oz. She eats anywhere from 3-4 oz....every 3-4 hours. She is only on formula as well.I'd start with 4-5 oz....if he seems hungry give him more. My daughter went for a check up a couple of days ago. I was concerned she was eaing too much. The pediatrician was not concerned at all. She said if she was drinking it all and not spitting up she was fine.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• do a 5oz if he drinks all of that an still wants more give it they will only drink till they are full some babys will drink more then others and its no big deal if they do as long as they dont spit up like crazy if unotice that tell ur doc may need to change formulas or if seems he isnt getting satisfied
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I just wanted to get a ball park figure because I didnt want to waste as much, this stuff is expensive.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What you pump is NO indication of your supply. It's supply regulation time right now, so pump output WILL go down. Doesn't mean he can't extract all he needs from the breast on his own. You want to watch diapers to be sure he's getting enough, not look at pump output.

And babies typical eat MORE formula than human milk. For one, formula doesn't contain as easy to absorb and digest nutrients, so they need to take more to fill their needs. Formula doesn't change composition the way human milk does, so they will need more volume as they get older. And lastly, babies tend to get into a pattern of overeating from bottles because the milk drips out so quickly. By the time they realize they're full, they've already overeaten.

Babies typically take an average of 25 oz over 24 hours when nursing, and formula fed babies can take upwards of 40oz per day in some cases. Yes, that stuff is expensive!!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i use the slow flow nipples on the bottles and he has eaten from a bottle almost from birth. He would not latch, but I wanted to at least try to get him breast milk.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's not too late to get him to latch! Some babies who would not latch at birth will do it easier after 1-3 months. If you are interested, it's certainly something you can continue working on! They are techniques to help and if you identify any obvious issues (inverted nipples, tongue tie, etc...) you can find better answers on how to accomplish latching! There are also ways to help increase pump output when pumping if you are interested in that! No pressure, just an offer of help if you'd like it! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010