Should parents make their children go to church/temple if they go or is there an age that the child should be able to make their own decision?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 8:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My parents never made me go. I was about 16 and I quit going. They would say once in a while...do you want to go with us. And left it at that. I eventually came back :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• when my children are old enough to stay homeby themselves while i go to church then i'll let them decide if they want to go or not... but my dd enjoys it so i don't think i'll have any problem out of her my ds is only one so i don't have to worry about him for a while
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• 18
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My kids went to church but I didn't make it a hammer to make them go. I allowed them to go or not go we talked about church and what we thought about what we learned and they asked questions and I answered. I think as the guys got older they could make up their own mind and they have.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Well, obviously younger children who rely on care can't have much of a say, since they can't be left home alone, unless there is someone they could be left with....

Me, personally, I feel that the age they're capable of being left home alone is when they can make up their mind to not go. We don't really go, though, with the way my husband works, and us just moving and not really knowing any of the churches, and having a little one I don't want to leave under some stranger's care in the children's room... He goes with my parents when he visits them, though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My 3 kids are teens and we've always gone to church as a family, it's just what we do on Sundays. My oldest daughter is 18 and no longer wants to go to Sunday school, which is her choice, but she still lives at home so she still goes to church with us unless she isn't home on Sunday morning. She doesn't seem to mind since it's a family thing.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• they must go with us till they are old enough to stay home by themselves. i was forced to go to church as a kid and i REFUSE to do that to my kids. i want religion to be seen as a "want to" and when its forced its a "have to".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My kids are too young to stay home alone, so where I go they go.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You can "force" your child(ren) to go to church/temple/whatever until their 18-19...but you can never make them believe anything.

If the kid truly doesn't want to go, and is old/mature enough to stay home alone, let'em.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I never make my children attend religious anythings ...it is a decision they must make alone period.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010