How much does your food budget cost you each month, and how many in your family?

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 9:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• $300-$350 a month for 3 people food only. I make my own laundry soap, cleaning supplies (minus dish soap), shampoo for me and my daughter (husband shaves his head) so other expenses is down to main necessities of tp, paper towels, dish soap, diapers (which we're almost done potty training - just need to master night-time!), wipes, storage bags and trash bags. Some of those last us well longer than a month. So I'd say on extra stuff we spend around $25-$40 a month on those things.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It was costing us about $800-$850 a month. I've managed to get it down to $400 though, thank goodness. I have a family of 5. But my mom comes sometimes, so turns into 6 and we have 2 dogs. The amount of food my husband and oldest consume is enough for 2-3 people.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Sadly I don't have a food budget... I just get what we need, cook almost every night and I don't eat much through the day since I'm home alone... My Hubby's gone for a month at a time so there's only the 4 of us, and we don't eat huge meals. I do think the one thing that saves us money is the fact that we don't eat a lot of meat... Instead of a pound of hamburger in our spaghetti, I use maybe 1/2 lb and make up for it with fire roasted tomatoes, and red peppers, and onions... Our boys love it, and it's not only cheaper, but it's better for us!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I keep it at $342 or under, all summer we worked on emptying our deep freeze and saved $100 a month to restock it. I try to keep the budget $35-$40 an week for four people two adults and two kids and a rabbit. That way I have extra for good sales, I like to have my pantry stocked, and extra to buy items to bake with at christmas.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i go shopping my husband brings things home that i forgot or he wants ...so we are 3 people in the house but we spend about 600+
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• ours is about $800 - $1000 a month. 7 people.
    2 teens, 3 adults, 2 kids, 2 dog, 2 cats.
    This also included all things like toilet paper, shampoo and laundry stuff, etc.

I live in Alaska.
    and we do not skimp of food. We eat well. We have to. My Husband is a Diabetic.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• 4 in the family, but on most meals I cook for 6 or 8 for leftovers for lunch or a freezer meal. At most I spend $500 a month.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 4:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Seven in the family (4 adults, 1 teen boy, 2 tweens) For the past 3 months, our food costs have been below $300 a month. We eat VERY well. My secrets are in planning meals ahead of time and cooking everything I can from scratch.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Cost me nothing we are on food stamps---lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2010