What things do you do to save money on your food budget?

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 9:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Shopping

• I browse the circulars, and plan my meals according to what meat is on sale that week. I also plan meals for a week or longer, and stick to my list at the grocery store. If it's not on the list, it doesn't get bought. If I have to, I'll go to more than one place. When I lived in my old town, I would buy everything I possibly could, that was cheaper, from Walmart, then buy everything else (meat, veggies, etc) from the supermarket. Now I live in a town where the closest supermarket is a Super Walmart, so almost all of my shopping gets done there. Also, I buy a lot of generic brand stuff. You'd be amazed at what a difference that makes. I went shopping with my friend, who bought less than me, but bought all brand name, and she payed more. I don't buy all generic. I prefer some brand name foods, but a lot of things, it makes no difference.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If meat and potatoes are on sale I will make a big pot of chili or soup or both and use some for that nights meal and split it up for later. They freeze great and you don't have to worry if you don't feel up to cooking one night because they are super easy to warm up.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i go to albertsons and sometimes they have chicken breasts and legs and thighs for 10.00 for 10 pounds or they have it for 79 a pound and i get 2 packages of it and split it and makes 6 meals and alot of the groceries are 10 for 10.
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We shop at Fred Meyers and use coupons.Buy alot of stuff that is on sale.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Buy in bulk (but make sure the price is right first!), use coupons, shop sales!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh, and go generic when you can -- one of our grocery stores, Harris Teeter, has their own organic line that is sometimes less expensive than name-brand non-organic items. Also look for your local grocery stores' online specials/deals!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I turn every meal into two. If I bake a chicken one night, i'll shred the rest and turn it into chicken noodle soup or a casserole. Pasta and sausage i'll save the sausage and make breakfast burrittos. I also save alot and freeze it. I don't feed my daughter any chef boyordee or any type of meals in a can but I kind of make my own. Separate into little ziploc containers and stick them in a freezer. It takes two extra minutes and your not feeding your kids food from a box. There is just something wrong with that. Don't buy any snack prepackaged that what tupperware is for!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I love to cook and bake. I make my own bread, cakes and noodles. It's cheaper for me to make things homemade for my family than to buy it from the store. I have even make my own laundry soap. I also shop for generic foods and clip coupons,
    Michelle2669

Answer by Michelle2669 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010