do you think crying is a sign of weakness, or strength?

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 9:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on where your mind is at. I believe crying can be a great sign of strength, because you aren't repressing your emotions or thoughts. But I think once you get that cry out, if you keep on thinking negative thoughts and wallowing in your tears, it becomes weakness and is from the enemy. I cry but the only person who ever sees me is DH.
    2rays0fsun

Answer by 2rays0fsun at 7:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It is so fnny that you ask this because my daughter (3 1/2) were having this very conversation this morning. It depends on the situation. Such as, she was crying because she didn't want to take her own pajama's off to get dressed for school. She decided she would rather crumple to the floor and cry her eyes out. I explained to her that if she has an actual issue then crying is okay and shows that she is strong enough to admit her weaknesses and that she needs help. BUT if you are simply crying because something isn't going your way then you are only being a blubbering baby and the world doesn't work that way.
    So if there is a legit reason, crying is acceptable and shows strength. If there is no acceptable reasoning then it shows childish, over emotional actions which are looked upon as weakness in adults (I didn't tell her all of that obviously though, lol).
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think it's necessarily either... it's an emotional response. It's natural. We're human, we cry. It irks me when people teach kids (particularly boys) to bottle up their emotions and not cry... why on earth not? Aren't they human beings? Don't they have feelings? I know for me sometimes a good cry makes me feel better.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I believe your answer depends on how you was raised and your view on the world. I was raised to think crying was a sign of weakness and to never cry over anything. But you can not go around bottling your emotions or you will explode. If you dont feel comfortable doing it around people go the bathroom have you a 15 min me time session and cry your heart out. and run the shower so no one doesnt hear you.
    tncalhoon

Answer by tncalhoon at 9:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Strength..♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Strength cause you can only get better if you let it all out!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think crying is a sign of humanity a plus in so strength. "A man whom cannot cry for himself or laugh for himself and at himself is a man I do not want to know.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Neither.  It's an emotional reaction.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Never cry in front of enemies for they will take it as weakness and abuse you with it and it will render you defenceless. Cry in front of family, it is strength to show emotions to those you love and solidarity in trying times. Cry alone, when such pain needs release. It is better to let it out than keep it in.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It could be both, depending on the situation. All humans were created with emotions, and it is natural to express them, including when very happy or very sad. What is not normal is to try and make another person stifle their tears by saying dumb nonsense like "real men/boys don't cry." Statements like that show the weakness of the one saying it.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010