Birthday money?

Would you let your kids spend their Birthday money if they got $80 or more on whatever they want?? My son (12) already spent $40 on a DS game and wants to buy some other big purchase spending it 'all'. Would you have any stipulations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I treated their birthday money like fun money and they planned it out and the more sensible they spent it like the longer they had it the more I would match them. My 17 year old is great with money. My 20 year old is learning.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Its his birthday money..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes , what ever they wanted... It was given to them for that reason, it was b-day money which means you can buy what you want..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's birthday money...it is supposed to be spent on what he wants.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• yes! I mean if he woul have gotten a gift you would have let him have that, so why cant he ahve his money?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Well, I mean it is HIS money. My daughter is only two, so whenever she gets birthday money I stash it away until she's older and can spend it on what SHE wants. But when she's older, I'll let her spend it on what she wants. I mean, he's only twelve. How sensible can he be with money when all he's going to want is games or toys? I would make him sit down and think really hard on what he wants and make it known that once he gets it there won't be any taking it back or complaining.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Of course she gets whatever she wants with her birthday money!!! If she wants to save it, she can. Up to her.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• no I just tell mine you better spend it wisely because once its gone its gone
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We put 1/2 of it away and the rest can be spent on whatever they want.
    Proudmumof2

Answer by Proudmumof2 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010