home schooling, private schooling or public schooling and why?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 10:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in

• Homeschooling. For the same reasons auto listed.

We use mainly a classical currirulum for Language arts, Arithmatic, and Handwriting. Next year we will be adding a new science curriculum, History/geography, social studies, and maybe Latin.DD is 5 and is almost finished with Kindergarten. We will be starting 1st grade in January(we school year round). It is alot of work on my part, but it is worth it. She is involved in many activities and groups where she does get the same experiances she would get in a public school.
    She has such a love of learning, and we do not feel that would be nurtured the way it needs to be in a public school(since they would not even test her till 2011 for kindergarten). I know it is not for everyone, but if you are willing to put forth the time and effort needed, it is a wonderful alternative.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 3:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Non-religious private school for us. If I couldn't afford that, I would choose public school. I believe homeschooling is too risky, plus being a part of a school is like being part of a small community with problems similar to the ones she's going to face when she's an adult. Also, I want her to make friends, be independed, learn to work with others, go to prom have a school life-away from home.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Homeschooling because I used to work in the public schools and I do not agree with most of what goes on there, for religious reasons and non-religious reasons. When my son is old enough for high school, he will have the choice to continue homeschooling or attend a christian, private school.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Christian Private school

They have smaller classes at least here. More child focus and attention to be sure of intellectual stimulation. More vast and challenging environment with concern on processing of information and healthy living habits even if my child chooses not to believe in God or Christ it will teach them proper morals.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• public
    we both have to work so homeschooling is out
    and we both work for non-profits, so private is out
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Homeschooling if you can. You can do it all yourself, do nline learing with no real plnning involved, or join a co-op. It's awesome!!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 4:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• homeschooling, which can provide a wonderful and broad social experience, if parents put in the effort to make that so.

more specifically secular, eclectic homeschooling, classical influence for history and some unschooling, too.

for too many reasons to list here but chiefly for quality of education, to nurture my child's love of learning, and to let him learn at his own pace.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• That's why preschool is optional, not state-mandated.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Technically speaking, private school, since my son is registered with an umbrella school. You could say we are home-schooling, since my kids don't actually attend a school. But I feel the most correct response is none of the above, since we are unschoolers. We don't do lessons, or follow a curriculum, or anything that remotely resembles school. We just live our lives, every day, and in doing so my boys learn how to live in the REAL world, since they don't spend hour after hour shut away in an institution.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Public School hands down! It provides the broadest amount of socialization and experience with other races, beliefs, religions and lifestyles and readies children for a place in the real world without censorship or special attention (which they don't get in the real world.) Private schools tend to be very censored places which teach the views and beliefs set down by the people paying the bills, and homeschool doesn't allow for a broad social scope with interaction of children from completely different walks of life... I think it's teaching tolerance of all and giving a child the ability to function day to day with people from every corner of the spectrum is more important than anything else they could learn, and it's not something that can be taught in a controlled environment...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010