My 2-year-old (28 Mos) REFUSES to sleep! Any suggestions?

My DD has just this week decided that she HATES to go to bed. Prior to Tuesday night she would go to bed without trouble, a few whimpering nights every now and then, but she was EXCELLENT about bedtime. The last two nights she SCREAMS her head off for me and even screamed so hard she made herself puke the first night. I've tried a variety of techniques but she still screams herself to sleep and if she wakes in the middle of the night is starts all over again. I'd LOVE any help from other Mommas out there! Thanks so much!

WeensMom

Asked by WeensMom at 3:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you had any changes in your household? New baby, a move, school, anything...change can really throw off a little one. Maybe she is starting to experience vivid dreams. Is there is a noise outside that scares her- tree limbs brushing against the house or something along that line, maybe its the heater being turned back on- my kids where a little freaked when they heard that kick in for the first time this winter.
    I'd try to talk to her during the day about what is bothering her at night...she's old enough to at least hint to your answer.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• maybe she has nightmares before she goes to sleep you should read to her so when she falls asleep she can just think about happy stuff? thats what i do to my son.. maybe this will help?
    Kristina_Adrian

Answer by Kristina_Adrian at 4:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I am not sure when children start thinking about monsters. I would play a game with my two oldest children. Where is the monster? I went to Walmart and smelled some of the different bottles. The scent I chose was in a bottle of hair product. That night, I asked my sons where to spray it. They would tell me behind the door, in the toy box, under the bed, etc. I told them that it was monster-be-gone spray. It worked for my sons maybe it would work for your daughter. Good luck
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I used to do that same thing as dustbunny but with a water bottle (spray bottle) for my daughter (now 7 years old). Keep in mind though that she's hitting that selfish stage where she's going to want everything to go her way. Give her some more time to work through it. Maybe put a nightlight in her room if she doesn't have one already. Eventually she'll realize that when mommy says it's bedtime, that's how it's going to go! My son likes to plug his nightlight in himself, and does so when he's tired, even for a nap in the middle of the day lol. He's actually now starting to climb into his bed and cover himself up when he's ready to sleep.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008