Asthma cough or croup?

So how do you tell the difference between an asthma cough and a croup cough?

I know my son is sick, and his cough is HORRIBLE. But I can't decide if it's a croup cough or an asthma cough.

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 10:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Bring him in they will be able to tell you.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Not real sure how to tell it apart i would try a breathing treatment if he was asthma and if that doesnt help go to the doc.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Take him to the doctor if you're unsure always don't hesitate.
    Danielle C.

Answer by Danielle C. at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am sorry I did not mean for what I said to sound evil if it came across that way. Please dont think of me as rude cause I am far from that on this question. ;-)
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• agriffinmom4, no worries at all. You didn't sound rude at all. Promise. I am going to bring him in but I have to wait til this afternoon for my DH to get off work and in the meantime I am going to give him his nebulizer treatments and see where we get.
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hmm, usually with asthma there is wheezing, with croup they sound like a barking seal. best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• When my dad has an asthma attack, he wheezes really bad. When my 2nd would have croup he made a barking noise. To be safe I would take him in and have a doctor check it out. I hope your son feels better soon!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't know what asthma coughs sound like, but my kids have had croup several times before and their cough always sounded kind of like a barking seal. For croup they say to put them in a bathroom with the shower running on hot water for the steam, and then to take them out into cool air for a little bit.
    momof3blondies

Answer by momof3blondies at 11:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think the only way to know for sure is to take him to the Dr
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010