How long does it normally take to find out if you've been approved for Medicaid/Food stamps?

My children and I have recently moved to a different county, and I applied for the above because their dad lost his job, and hasnt been able to help with any of the necessities..how long will it take to hear something? I called the caseworker on Monday..it is now Friday, to hear the status...they never returned my call. My kids need to go to the Dr!

blueeyedbabyz

Asked by blueeyedbabyz at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• In my expierience, they never call back and it can take up to 1 month to hear anything back.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• One or two months. Depends if you send all your paperwork and did the interview.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Give them another call.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I did the interview the same day, and had to return a statement the next day that just basically said where I was staying I didn't have any bills or income....my children already had medicaid, it just needed to be renewed..and transferred to this county. I just don't get why it is taking so long...
    blueeyedbabyz

Comment by blueeyedbabyz (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Usually i think it is a month.

I would give her a call and tell her you need to take your child to the doctor you don't have any medical and find out if she knows what you can do? Maybe charity care or something. Ask how long it takes. I know sometimes the workers can be nasty but stay cool, and nice don't let them get you down. I have been there before and it can be very fustrating...

I wish you the best and hope your husband finds a good job soon.

:)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Thank you...I am separated from my husband..and filing for divorce in Feb..he lost his job, but even before then all he would do is buy my son diapers, he wouldn't give any $ to help. But, THAT is another story!
    blueeyedbabyz

Comment by blueeyedbabyz (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• what state you live in? ifigure it should be the same everywhere but i live in tx adn i got fired for reporting my gmj to his boss and i needed income verification froom my former employer and pissed me off cuz they never filled it out or faxed it to my caseworker i had to call the main office and after that send it that same day by midnight i had my foodstamps adn my sons medicaid came 3 days later by mail. usually if they get all the info that same day they complete your case that day and get you ur help that day.
    Snavarro08

Answer by Snavarro08 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Wow u ladies are saying months, maybe it just depends on what state your in. When I applied it was a week or so before I got the appointment and then after the appointment it was maybe 3 or 4 days and I had them.
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I live in NC...I am just frustrated bc I haven't heard from anyone. I know they're busy, but geez! At least have the decency to call back!!
    blueeyedbabyz

Comment by blueeyedbabyz (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It can take anywhere from a week to a month. Depends on where you are, how efficient the office is, and what exactly you're qualifying for.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010