Do your kids'tantrums make you want to pull your hair out?

I love my 3 yearold son more than life itself, but when he throws a tantrum it makes me almost lose it! Any suggestions on how to deal with them?

Homescoolmama

Asked by Homescoolmama at 10:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD moans and groans when she does not want to do something. Since she is twelvw I like to remind her she should have stopped that at five years at least.
    But that sinks in quick.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• of course but not all the time and I hide it from them and others as best as I can but sometimes I do loose it with them. There is only so much a person can take and I commend those who dont loose their temper
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• OMG yes! More his whining than anything.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• View Image tantrums what tantrums

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My little one will get into her "drama queen" mode sometimes. Mostly when she doesn't want to go to preschool. First thing I do is try to calm her down or distract her. If that doesn't work , I let her get it out. It doesn't last long and I recite the multiplication tables silently in my head to calm myself down. weird, but very true!
    leoni

Answer by leoni at 11:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• They did at first, but I've learned to just ignore my daughter's tantrums. I'll make sure she's in a safe place where she can't knock anything over on top of her and just let her stay there and finish her tantrum. She usually flings herself down on the ground, kicks and screams and turns red. I've learned to just giggle at her. They usually only last a few minutes because she knows she's not going to get any attention from me when she's acting like that.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• lol there are definitely hair pulling moments.
    When she acts like that (my dd) I normally tell her to go to another room, like her bedroom or play room and let it all out and come back and talk to me normally and we can try to work it out. If ti gets bad, like toy throwing, I'll take the toys away so she literally has to sit and calm her self down rather than be distracted.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• YES. I ignore them.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• He usually throws his tantrums in public places, when I am trying to get him to leave to go home & take a nap! He doesn't want to stop playing & go home, but if we don't, he starts toget over-tired & doesn't want to play nice with the other kids! It is so embarrassing to me, when I feel like people are looking @ me & I can't even control my own kid! Then, I get mad & almost lose it, but restrain myself because we're in public! I have lost my temper with him @ home, unfortunately! I have to try extra hard to keep my emotions in-check, because I was abused as a kid & that's something that I definately do not want to pass on! I'm breaking the chain!!!!!!!!!

Homescoolmama

Comment by Homescoolmama (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010