What are some tips i can use to potty train my son?

Kristina_Adrian

Asked by Kristina_Adrian at 3:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he? If he isn't showing any signs of being ready I wouldn't even force it. When my kids were ready I just had them go to the potty every two hours and rewarded them with a fruit snack, but not the whole bag just one or two. Whatever you do, don't do what I did with my first one. I gave him a square of hershey's bar and boy was that a mistake! LOL. If ya know what I mean.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• he is 1 and 9 months he says caca when he has already done his business and he says caca when he has pee pee but i just dont know when to take him?
    Kristina_Adrian

Answer by Kristina_Adrian at 4:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My first son was 34 months before he was ready and it still took him six more months to go #2 in the potty. My second son was 27 months and maybe two or three months before he would go #2 in the potty. I don't know what it is with them and going #2, but I hear this happens a lot with other children. If he is telling you then maybe try it, only way to know for sure I guess. I just wouldn't push it and if you do try just make sure you are doing it like clockwork. GL!
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I researched this awhile back, and found that the average potty training age for girls is 33 months, and 39 for boys. Get him a potty if you don't already have one and take him to the bathroom with you when you have to go. If his daddy is in the picture, have him do the same. He'll start getting the idea of when to go, and he's obviously already showing signs of interest. Have him sit on his potty when you do, and give him specific toys that he is ONLY allowed to play with when he's on the potty. He'll do it when he's ready...
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• here some helpful hints to get him to pee in the potty but fruit loops in the potty and let him aim at them. For my daughter we used a sticker chart and almost have her totally potty trained we are just trying to get her to poop in the potty she trys but never does it only a couple of times now
    shaynaj

Answer by shaynaj at 10:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i learned a child will potty train when he/she wants to i never forced mine to do it i introduced them to it but i didnt make them go they know when they are ready i wanted to do it but they didnt want to ofcourse they did when i got jobs lol the same day
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• let him run around naked and give him lots to drink. have him sit on the potty every 20 min. if he goes five him a sticker..... this worked for my son who is fully pottytrained at barley 2
    blazebaby

Answer by blazebaby at 1:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2008