Is there a certain amount children are supposed to eat per meal?

I have often wondered how much (portion wise) to give my son who's 21 months. Sometimes I feel like I'm feeding him too much when I see he is eating a lot (like on spaghetti night). I feel like I should measure out his main dish portions and side dishes. You hear so much about childhood obesity and I don't come from just "skinny" people in my family! Do you know or is there a website that tells you how much is too much?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Their stomach is about the size of their fist. So if you keep that in mind, you should have an idea of about how much to feed them. My son is 36mos. He'll eat 1 apple, or 4 chicken nuggets, or 1 slice of pizza, or 1 sandwich. If he eats those, he doesn't often eat anything else at mealtime....unless fries or potato chips are an option....and I limit those.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Well you have to remember that their stomachs are only as big as their little fists they will for the most part eat till they are full but you should not over feed them either. Some people forget they are young and try to "make" them eat but give a little at a time and you will find they wont overfeed. Smaller serving sizes will also ensure that they eat all thy have and not just eat more of one thing usually unless they really hate it. Also it can take a long time to find out if you child like or dislike something even if they dont eat it keep giving it to them so they can learn that it is ok to eat and should be a part of their diet
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• http://www.mypyramid.gov/preschoolers/index.html
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I honestly have never gone by those recommendations. I always feed my children until they seem full. Every child is different, and I don't want my children going to bed hungry.

*And no my children are not overweight before anyone says anything along those lines, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I looked at the site bisketliss gave you when I first started serving food to my son. He eats a little less then she described above but he is also younger.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You also have to remember, he could go all day on nothing but a few bites, then eat what seems like a lot at supper, or vice versa. DD is 22 months and does this all the time. As long as he is averaging the amounts he needs to eat throughout the day, he is fine. Let him eat until he is no longer hungry; he should be able to tell when he is full by this point.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010