...Safe ways to try self inducing labor...

I'm almost at the end of my pregnancy (38 weeks) and not dialated or effaced AT ALL! I've been walking constantly and my baby is head down! I'm so uncomfortable at this point. I'm trying for a VBAC but my Dr. said that I would have to go into labor very soon for me to be able to have a VBAC because I tend to have large babies and it looks like my baby is about 7-8 pounds right now. My Dr. will only allow the VBAC if I go into labor during the day, labor for no more than 10 hours and if my baby is estimated to weigh less than 8 pounds. So, any suggestions for trying to self induce are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can safely go to 42 weeks. I would just hold off a bit. Maybe your little ones needs more time in there. And often weight calculations are off by quite a bit. Each one of mine were off by a couple of pounds and that is a lot when they are so tiny to begin with.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Unfortunately there's not much you can or should do to induce early. Your body, and your baby know when it's best to deliver. If you try to push it too early, you could find that even an 8.5lb baby has undeveloped lungs or heart. Keep exercising, eat healthy, rest, etc. And it will happen when it's time. GL! I hope you get your vbac. My hospital doesn't even offer it as an option.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• 38 weeks is not early. 37 weeks is full term. have sex and move move move. go shopping, clean the house, work out...just have sex and then move
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• 38 weeks doesn't mean it's time for dialation. And dialation doesn't mean you are going to go into labor right away either. There is no safe way to induce labor yourself. If your doctor thought it was safe to induce you, he/she would do it themselves. You don't have to have a c section, just yet. If labor is going steady, they won't do it. Good luck! Hope you get your vbac! But most of all, hope you have a healthy happy baby!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• allishot, my son was born a a so called 38 weeks and was in the NICU because his lungs weren't ready. Not every baby is "term" just because they are 36 weeks.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• 37 weeks in NOT term. 38-42 is the window for term. Although, some may come sooner or later. And if your baby is one that NEEDS to go to 42 or 43 weeks, then, 37 weeks IS premature.

I hope you get your VBAC, but, unless you are induced unnaturally, there is NO natural way to induce. Only your baby knows when to come and he will produce a hormone to start labor. You also don't have to dilate or contract before labor starts. It can all happen at the same time.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Find a new doctor. He is not practicing evidence-based medicine, and therefore is putting you and your baby at risk. He has no way of knowing what size baby you can birth, first of all. Your body is quite unlikely to grow a baby it can't push out, and small women have big babies every day. I just had a baby at home that weighed almost 10 pounds. Second, only if you go into labor during the day? What kind of BS is that?! What does that have to do with safety? And laboring for longer than 10 hours isn't going to increase any risks either unless it's, like, for days.

Serioiusly, find a new doctor. This man wants to cut you open again and he will find any excuse to do so. He's so full of it, I'm appalled.

There is no way to induce labor, but there are things you can do to help your body be ready. Have lots of sex and move a lot. Those are your best bets.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'm seriously sickened, even ACOG says that a suspected large baby (which is defined as over NINE pounds, not 8) is NOT a reason for C-section or induction, unless the estimated weight is over ELEVEN pounds. Your doctor is terrible and is scaring you into surgery. Do not concent if you want your VBAC.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Honestly, there isn't anything that really puts you into labor. It only works when your body and baby are ready.

Have you discussed stripping your membranes with your doctor? It normally only works if you are dilated and effaced a bit when having it done, but it could be worth a shot.

The only effective things that you can really attempt is sex (make sure your SO finishes inside of you as semen can help soften your cervix), lots of walking, some cleaning around your house, and some say fresh pineapple helps.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Ati is right. I was thinking the same thing! He may be trying to make $$ of the surgery. What difference does it make if you go into labor at night. They do C sections at night too, he probably wants to make sure he gets paid for the delivery.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2010