Has anyone ever built a house as there own contractor?

My husband and I are thinking about building a house on our land. We aren't sure of the load that we could be taking upon ourselves, but we can't afford to have a contractor build it. Does anyone have any suggestions that helped them!!

determind

Asked by determind at 3:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Home & Garden

• We are going to do that too, we are so excited, but we have got lumber given to us from family, but we will still have lots of money to go into it too. Good Luck to you!!!!!
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 3:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my parents did, my dad does concrete, so he was able to trade concrete work for other things, also some of our relatives did things for them, ie: my cousin does floors, other cousin does landscaping... I know I helped, painted, tar, etc. are you able to do any of these things?
    JenRose09

Answer by JenRose09 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my parents did it, and it was a never ending project. If it was me, I would like to design a house, but not actually build it.

My parents house is still in progress, they are divorced, and my mom has blown a lot of money into it because she has to get things re-repaired.

It will be a lot of work.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My ex boyfriend and my husband are home builders. I can answer alot of your questions, message me and I can help you. It is alot of work and the more you know the smoother things will go.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Don't do it, if you can avoid it. It will destroy your marriage!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My parents built my house for me. It took longer than a contractor doing it, and it is harder, and honestly, you won't really save that much money over hiring someone. There's going to be some stuff you'll have to hire someone to do, and you won't get much break on the materials either. Not to mention that if you do something yourself and get it wrong, you have to pay for it yourself. If you have a contractor, you can go back to him, and the people who installed/did the work, and they have to pay for the repairs it a mistake is made.

Although...it doesn't have to destroy your marriage. Today is my parents 32nd anniversary, and I've been in my house for almost 2 yrs. They're as happy as they've always been. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• We did 15 years ago and stayed married. However, we had a lot of family help. My dad was a contractor and his dad knew a lot. My dad and his did A LOT of the work. Now given all of the stupid laws, I doubt we could do it again so cheaply. Permits where I live have added thousands to a home--especially if built by the owner. I do have some friends who built a real cool straw house---but they took 15 years to do it--BUT it is completely paid for and they are payment free. They lived in a trailer on their land while they did all of the building. They shopped a lot at used building material companies. But it is a real neat house.
    Anonymous

• I admire you for wanting to tag that big of a project yourself, just make sure you have a good quality electrician,plumber,dont try doing this yourself you will have to get an inspector,they cost a little bit as well.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2008