I can barely find anything on a daycare I want my son to go to.

My son will be attending Building Blocks of Windsor in Connecticut and I cant find anything about it, and I really want to see some pictures before my tour tommarow, where do I go to find things about it? I have tried yahoo and google..... to no avail. Please assist me in anyway you can.

PS. What is preschool like? What do I need to bring for him? What does he learn?

WashuChan

Asked by WashuChan at 4:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh and also (everything is coming back to me...lol) ask what the teacher to child ratio is. again, each state is different, so i dont' know about Conn., but i know that in Virginia it's a strict rule: for under 2- there is 1 teacher to 4 kids, 2 year olds 1:5, 3 year olds, 1:8, 4 year olds 1:10, ect. but in Kentucky, it's 1 teacher to 7 kids no matter what the age, so Conn. could be different. Make sure you ask what the ratio is, and that they are strict on that ratio. that's another thing that would be in the inspection paper, is if they were out of ratio. (most places won't have it on the paper though, cuz as soon as they see the inspector, they run around and make sure everyones in ratio, and make a few adjustments if necessary. sad but true.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• preschool is just like daycare, only they actually learn things, instead of just play all day. depending on the age, they do age appropriate crafts, learn shapes, letters, numbers, some even start teaching kids how to read by the time they're 3-4 years old. i worked in a preschool and we had 4 year olds graduating to kindergarten reading sentences, and some even paragraphs. i've worked in 4 daycares, Building Blocks one of them (only i worked at the one in Virginia, and i have no idea if it's the same company as the one you're speaking of) and honestly only one of them i would put my child in, which is the one that did the ABEKA Curriculum. (continued)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I've found that curriculum, if taught the correct way, to be the best way to teach children. What you need to look for: if they tell you they do certain things at the school, look for them. for example, if they say they do a certain curriculum, and they send papers home every day, (some send them home every friday) make sure you are getting those papers every day/ friday. if you're not, then there's something up that you need to look into. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!
    armywife43

• oh yeah, also something i should mention, i don't know how Conn. works, but i know that in Virginia you can go to a government website and see all of the inspection days. what it is, is an inspector comes in randomly (in some states they call before they come, which i think is rediculous) and inspects the place to make sure everything is run smoothly and by the book, making sure that the teachers are locking the cleaning supplies, not leaving them out for the kids to get, making sure the paper work is in order, ect. (continuted)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• If it's like Virginia, they should have the most recent one on file, if not hanging on the wall. You should ask for it, and look it over, and if there is anything besides a few minor paperwork things listed (sometimes preschools forget that they have 1 or 2 kids that don't have their shots up to date or their parents just forget to sign something) you should really take them to notice. also notice if there have been any complaints made to the inspector and if there are any, how many.
    armywife43

• If it's a smaller school, they may not have a website or info out there. Just look around tomorrow. :) They should provide you with a list of things to bring. Usually a change of clothing, kleenex, blanket and sheet or a matt if not provided.

pervious poster has good info. In FL, the ratio for 3 and 4 year olds is much higher. 2 year olds is 11:1 so I think it's either 15 or 17:1 for 3 then higher for 4. I worked with the younger kids at my daycare, so don't recall the higher ratios. Those are nice ratios. It's 6:1 toddlers here and that is a handfull!
    Anonymous

• Thanks guys! Im just so damn worried about this, cause this is the first time I have ever put my son in a day care or preschool. Im glad to hear they are randomly inspected, my mom told me that they do that here. Where do I get mats!? I do have a blanket for him though, and I will make a pillow for him soon.

I have a friend who is in child care and she had 2 year olds and told me if there was 15 left at night she could go, but the other 2 teachers couldnt untill it went down, that was in NH.

Thanks again! :D!
    WashuChan

Answer by WashuChan at 5:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008