When did doctors and women all of a sudden decide to shift nature and determine that "full term" was 36-40 weeks?

When in reality, "full term" is 38-42. And that your baby may come somewhere in there or even later. Even the March Of Dimes has noticed this change and is calling for a change in the system. They have noticed the MAJOR rise in iatrogenic(doctor induced) prematurity in infants.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Even more important than stopping doctors from insisting that 40 weeks time is up. WHICH is WRONG!!!! Is that 36-39 weeks to NOT DONE. Since when does ANYBODY induce at 36 weeks? that is nuts! I had one at 37-38 weeks because that is when my water broke, and baby was fine. But he wasn't done. He was thin and his skin was thin. 36 weeks is not done.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree 100%, and the increased number of inductions due to "big" babies...

size has NOTHING to due with lung maturity... and ultrasounds can be WAY off

at 36 weeks they said DS was 8lbs 8oz and wanted to take him early, I refused. He was born at 42 weeks at 7lbs 9oz. If I had let them take him early, he would have been low birth weight....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It's infuriating isn't it?
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I've noticed that too. It's amazing how many unnecessary inductions and c-sections are performed every day, and then we wonder why the baby has respiratory problems, liver problems, asthma, etc.
    To anon that doesn't think a woman should go past 40 weeks, where are you getting your info? It's not like the oven timer goes off on your due date, and it's time to get the bun out of the oven! Sometimes Baby isn't done "cooking" in there, and will come out when he/she is ready. 42 weeks is about when the placenta begins to deteriorate, so that can have its risks, but even then, not every woman should be induced.
    Walking and sex cannot "induce" labor, anon, they can simply "encourage" labor if it's pretty close. Induction doesn't always mean a baby is ready, it means either mom is tired of being pregnant, or the doctor has decided it's time for baby to come. There can be medical reasons, yes, but much of the time, it's unnecessary.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I do know that the doctor assume all all babies are ready at 40 weeks and that leaving them in there is tempting something to go wrong. They can't really say what, but that new attitude seems to be if they are ready to survive outside the womb get them out before something goes wrong. To hell with the risks of induction or surgery. Get that baby out! I think it is disgusting. And we will see the numbers swing toward more mother's dieing from pitocin induced strokes and mishaps in surgery. Doctors aren't good at waiting. They don't like getting up in the middle of the night. And way too many new mom's don't have somebody in their life telling them to stop whining!  Whining about a normal pregnancy never occurred to me. My family would have laughed at me!  Too darn many princesses out there, doctors included.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• c-sections unnecessary? (i'll admit I didn't read those links! Don't yell at me!) But I do know where this is going. Plus, what Bradenismyson, pretty much nailed it.

MOST C-Sections are not needed, I 100% needed it. Only 3% are actually needed, it's a very dangerous surgery.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Just let the bun bake, all ovens are different, that's why the package says "approximate baking time 40 weeks, ovens very adjust cooking times"
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i was also pushin a baby out before I had to have a emergency c-section. I was never induced. I was 40 weeks from my first ultra sound, same day everything. I had my baby on my first exact due date. Which was actually my Birthday :), chances of that are rare I guess, but they got it right w/me. My daughter was healthy, (till they tried that plunger thing, she got jondis sp?). She wasn't big, my pelvis is just weird. ha
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Chell.o_0
    can I quote you!?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Sure :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010