Do you teach your children that yeah and na are not proper ways to speak? Of course the best way to teach this is by example.

It is proven that people who speak complete and proper English are much more successful in school and business.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 11:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I will admit, I do say "yeah" sometimes. But when it comes to speaking to my daughter, I always make a point to say "yes" or "no". We've even started incorporating "yes sir/ma'am" "no sir/ma'am" around her. She's even gotten the "thanks" down pat after you give her something or make her found. She'll go "tinks" which means thanks. lol. I don't think I'm going to have any problems getting her to speak properly.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• yes and no are fine in a formal situation. but if you're with family or friends there's no reason to speak formally. i say yeah and na, i also say yes and no, but in the right situation for each and it wouldn't bother me at all if my daughter said yeah to me. i'm just her mom, not her potential boss giving a job interview
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, I teach my son that. Even though we all slip up & say yeah, or nope, we're pretty good about things like yes please, no thank you, yes ma'ma no sir, ect ect. At one years old he knew how to say excuse me to people who where in his way... Manners matter in my house. My husband & I use them on each other. If I cook dinner my husband tells me thank you when dinners done, if he takes us out to dinner I always tell him thank you for dinner.......... My son just picked up on it at a early age.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• That's supposed to say food, not found. lol.
    poptart0325

• We were never allowed to say yeah or huh? It was yes and pardon, my children are taught the same.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son does not speak slang and the older one does but still knows yes ma,am and yes sir.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Nope, we are teaching our kids to say "yes mam/sir" and "no mam/sir"
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• That's ridiculous. Time and place. I grew up using A LOT of slang, curse words too, but I knew how to speak according to location, company, and intentions. My children will learn the same.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• No, I don't.
    I teach them proper, formal Enlish and that there are times and places for both that and more casual language.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2010