Wish more women were aware...

I wish more women were aware of the fact that how much you are able to pump is NOT an indication of how much you are producing when you breastfeed!! It frustrates me when women give up on breastfeeding because they assume that because they only pump an ounce at a time, then the baby is not getting enough. Many many women just don't respond to the pump and produce next to nothing even if they pump for hours... but most of these women produce plenty when actually nursing.

This is not a FF bash - every mother makes the choice that is best for her and for her baby and I completely and thoroughly respect that and have absolutely no problem with it. I just wish women were more aware of this fact, because I know there are some women out that there will give up on BFing prematurely because they don't know!

arouthier

Asked by arouthier at 11:56 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's so true! I am not a good pumper but nursed 2 babies for a combined 6 years!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh, I know. There is really very little education on breastfeeding because FF was the push years ago. (not bashing those who do) Many doctors were taught more about FF than breastfeeding so they tend to go with what they have learned. That leaves most BF moms out in the cold with little to no support and very limited resources to get help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree!! I don't think they realize too that colostrum is what comes first, so it's not going to be a heavy flow of milk at first...

I actually had women friends that told me they thought it was gross to let my babies nurse... I thought it was the most natural thing I have ever done in my life...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hey I gave up breastfeeding because my eight pound son went from that to five pounds so I tried for a month nothing happened the doctor said please give your child a bottle. Not everyone gives up.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I only pumped for 2 months because i wasnt producing enough and my son would not latch on. I wish I was able to pump longer. But for just those 2 months that I was pumping I was able to get enough for him to eat breast milk for more then 6 months. I started pumping right away because my son was in the NICU for a week. But untill the last week or 2 of me pumping i was producing over 16oz on just one side in only 5-10 min....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• pinkdragon - I was not inferring that there are no legitimate reasons for giving up on breastfeeding. Some women really do not produce enough and it sounds like in your case that was definitely the issue.

I've read a lot of posts on cafemom, however, from women who say "geez i only pump an ounce after hour, so my baby must not be getting enough so i'm giving up" and I just wanted to say that that isn't necessarily true!
    arouthier

Comment by arouthier (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• They also don't realize that colostrum is enough for baby. They think if their milk doesn't "come in" the next day that baby will starve. When in fact the milk is already there, just a different recipe.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree! But I've always been able to pump about 5 ounces out of each breast. Even after I nurse the baby, I can still get at least 2-3 ounces. I've always wondered how much I actually do make since I can pump that much. lol.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• heck, when my niece was born her godmother was there going on about how my SIL would have to understand that she won't be able to BF for a few weeks.
    she thought that colostrum was BAD for babies!
    I'm glad you posted this.
    I feel that it's the mothers choice, but there are a lot of misconceptions.

Anonymous

• i had an oversupply. i mean i was pumping 10-16 oz each time. but i could never get my kids to latch, so i just bottle feed bm.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010