What's my problem and how do I fix it?

I have 4 kids 21,17,16 and a 4 yr old. I have been treated for depression and add in the past. A few years ago I was tested for sleep apnea. I have it and I stop breathing dozens of times during my sleep . I have a cpap breathing machine but it needs a new hose. I have no money or insurence so I can't use the machine or be on meds.
During the day I feel sad,lifeless, like I don't care. I pay very little attention to my kids and I feel horriable because I'm not there emotionlly. It's like there's a black cloud swallowing me up. I am at home all day And my son does what he wants and get what he wants because I can't pick up my mood enough to play with him. I don't want to be like this. alot of my day is spent in a fog, I cry because I can't function like everyone else. Is this all the depression? or can the lack of oxygen at night be the problem? or is it both?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• It reads to me like you may be able to help yourself get out of your funk without meds. The trick is it takes work. You have to be willing to make an effort and it is going to be hard at first since you are depressed (not motivated). You can get out of this by making sure you are eating right and getting plenty of minerals. Exercise, even just take short walks to start, will improve your mood drastically. Something else to consider is your hormone balance. This is a link to a calculator to help assess your hormone levels http://www.women4balance.com/hi-hormonecalculator.php?member_id=45
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think part of it may be the sleep problem. Have you contacted your doctor or the co. that you got the machine from? They may be able to help you get a new hose without it costing you. You might find that getting a new hose and being able to get a good night's sleep again is all you need. If you are able to do that and you still feel the same, then as the previous poster suggested, eating right and exercise, vitamins, hormones, all that could help.
    Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think it's both things reacting together. My father has the same sleep apnea, and he does stay depressed and listless too. I think you could let the company you used to get the machine know the problem. They may have a program to help. Some drug companies have programs to help pay for meds. Maybe this company does something similar. Just be honest with them about the severity of your problems. You could even write or email them if you can't talk about it without getting upset.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 5:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2008