How closely does your adult life resemble....

the life you had in school?

Really, I'm kind of tired of hearing about how kids need to be sent to school to learn to live in the "real" world. How does school even remotely resemble the "real" world?

My kids spend all day living and being in the "real" world, not locked away in an institution that tries, and fails, to replicate it.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 12:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Lol, my real life does not resemble my school days in any way, shape, form or fashion. In fact, if it did I think that would be pretty sad considering it would mean I had not grown as a person at all since then!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Lol, *like*

My life as an adult does not in any way resemble my years in school. Except that I have to wake up on someone else's schedule in the morning. That's it :P
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• School is what you make of it and you succeed there like you do in the real world it depends on how bad you want it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• School isn't anything like the real world. I agree, my kids spend much more time "in the real world" than moving around like caged lab rats because we homeschool and they get to see what real life is like. Can you imagine going to work and raising your hand because you wanted to join in the conversation or asking to speak to the store manager because someone cut in front of you in line?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• School gives you the tools and the education to contend with the real world. I feel sorry for kids who never get education beyond high school.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh--and college was not so far removed from real life. I worked to pay my tuition and room and board---in the summer at a bank,and during the scool year,in the dorm cafeteria every morning making breakfast for hundreds of students. That prepared me for earning my own way and taking responsibilty for my future. And because it was a huge Unversity,I got to know studentsfrom other states,other countries and opened my mind to differences in lives and customs and religions. I think that was invaluable---so worthwhile. I would never have been happy at home,being with all the same people,afraid of learning and the world.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• School life no, but I do use all the things I learned in school through out my real world life.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I personally like having my children in a school where they can learn and socialize with other children. I don't consider children in public/private schools to be 'caged lab rats'. I admire children that have manners and raise their hands when trying to ask questions. There are some homeschooled kids that do get a decent education but socially I think they are at a disadvantage. The ones that I've met just don't socialize or interact that well with peers. Whether your child is in public school or is being homeschooled they are always learning by you as a parent and how you interact within society by using you as a model.
    But to answer your question, my life while in school is very different from my adultlife. Learning institutions are not only for education but for growth in all areas of life. Education is the best investment there is.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 1:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• High school- nothing close. I didn't have any major bills, just had to get up, go to school, do my work at least half-well, and knew I would have a roof over my head, food, and transportation through my parents. College- that was a lot more like real life for me. I paid for pretty much everything except my health ins- my mom kept me on her policy. All the other bills were my job though. I had a job which if I didn't do well I didn't get money from it, if I didn't do well in classes I didn't stay in college, I didn't have anyone reminding me to do things (like financial aid) on time or anything like that. The only difference now is that I have a husband and child at home instead of a dorm room that smells funky from my suitemate ;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

"

Same here. Of course adult life isn't just like high school, it's a completely different scenario. However, I do use a lot of the social tools that I learned in my school days. I don't care what anyone says, the interaction with such a variety of peers on a daily basis, for 8 hours a day, cannot be replicated at home.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010