Who is overreacting?

My 1yo is learning to walk and, unfortunately, open the kitchen cabinets. This morning he opened the one I store all the paper & plastic grocery bags in. When my dh came into the kitchen, my son was playing with a plastic bag filled with other bags. My dh freaked out - what if he puts one over his head?! This is so dangerous!
Now... I'm standing right there. My son is never in the kitchen alone and the bag was tied shut. I don't see the problem. Am I being naive or is he being paranoid?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can see why he had a problem with it however you were there and I"m sure you would not let him sit there with bags on his head. Guess it is time to start teaching him to not get into the cabinets. I know most people say buy locks but why waste your money teach your child NO.
    momoftwo0406

Answer by momoftwo0406 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I can see both of your points. While yes you are watching him, and keeping him safe. You are also teaching him it's okay to play with plastic bags. Should he ever get a hold of one when you aren't looking, he could get hurt because he will think it's okay. You were watching him and preventing anything from happening this time, next time you may not get so lucky. My 1 year old son will tear pieces off bags if he get's them and then tries to put them in his mouth. So even if I'm watching him I wont allow him to play with them, they aren't toys.
    mom2cuties0406

Answer by mom2cuties0406 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think he's being a little paranoid. But I can understand where his concern comes from. Just make sure you ALWAYS keep an eye on him.
    countrygirl1987

Answer by countrygirl1987 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I can see both sides of the story (as I'm sure you do as well), BUT if you were right there then I think it was okay. I let my 6 month old son play with the junk mail because he laughs out loud at the crinkling noise the little plastic window makes, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I can see why he got worried because that is a risk for suffocation. But if the bag was tied and you were right there, I don't really see a problem. Now if the bag wasn't tied, then I'd see a problem.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't let me kid play with them even tied shut, a piece bitten off is a major choking hazard as well.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I'd be ok with it as long as you were right there
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think your husband is right. I would go get the cabinet locks. This way you don't have to worry about it.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Both are right. It's not safe for him to play with them even though you were right there. On the other hand, he now knows where they are and you will not alway be there when he gets into them.
    Either move them or get cabinet locks.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I can understand why your husband over reacted. I would have to. I would definitely purchase some cabinet locks.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010