Do you really think marriage is just a piece of paper?

I hear this more & more often lately and wonder, Is this the popular attitude?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I can't stand hearing "Why should I just get a piece of paper?" To me a marriage is a commitment you make in front of family and friends, a testament to your love and willingness to be with this one person for life. The marriage certificate is a symbol of that. Not that I think marriage should be taxed but that's a whole different ball game. I was so happy to be pledging my life to my true love I wanted to celebrate it!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My view.

I think the marriage license & certificate that is given by the state is just a piece of paper.

Marriage itself I believe is a connection and union of two people. A deep and committed relationship that is hopefully based on and full love .

The state has not always had to sanction and acknowledge (ie: marriage license/certificate) a union in order for it to be considered a "Marriage". That's a relatively new thing (in the scope of history), and is not about the relationship or the union itself . It's about a legal contract that has everything to do with property rights, taxation, and government benefits.

So marriage and that little piece of paper aren't always mutually exclusive in my book. :-)

However. If you want your union to be LEGALLY recognized. But that's it.. That's a legal issue, it has nothing to do with the relationship itself.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Not for me, it's a symbol of our dedication to the relationship that in my opinion just isn't there if you are living together.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think it makes sense.. I don't need a piece of paper to show my guy I love him & want to be with him forever.. The paper just makes it legal
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• That piece of paper means so much more than the fact that it is a piece of paper. I have been in a loving committed relationship for almost 8 years now. There have been many legal things that have stopped us from going forward that are now out of the way. That piece of paper will just entitle me to benefits that I would not get if something were to happen to him and vice versa. It would mean the world to me to pledge our love and devotion to one another in front of God, and our friends and family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The "piece of paper" allows us to file our taxes together and gives us rights and responsiblities on behalf of each other.

However, the "piece of paper" does not make a marriage. A marriage is a commitment. Some people don't actually get legally married... but still make a public committment. IMO it is nice to mark this type of 'non-marriage' with a ceremony and celebration.

Jump a stick together, say vows, something that says "I promise YOU to stay US through thick and thin". Doesn't have to be expensive or formal, but meaninful. People I know didn't get married for these good reasons:

Gay, not allowed by law
    Widowers would have lost social if they retired
    Bad credit, would have tanked them financially to marry

The "we are living/have kids together doesn't matter" reason, I don't buy bc I have been there and made excuses instead of admiting we would never marry because we were wrong for each other.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the relationship. For me and my DH it is just a piece of paper that forever bonds us. We didn't rush to get married but we knew that we would be together forever.
    twohearts0810

Answer by twohearts0810 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It is just a piece of paper if neither one is working to make it a marriage. That paper won't do it, it is just a legal document. You can sit under a car port all day and it won't make you into a car........That paper would only protect you rights to communal property should you divorce.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 12:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• well i am in a situation where i cant get married b/c i am disable and if we do get married i lose my benefits and cant afford 2 do that so yes i feel that way if u love some1 you love some 1 and thats all thats 2 it
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think so. it is a wonderful thing---love,commitment,caring,unselfishness and being responsible .
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010