At what age do you think it's safe to...

let your child play outside without constant adult supervision? We have a fenced in yard and two dogs. All of the gates have clips to keep kids from opening the gates.

My dd is four years old and VERY independent, but I'm a little leery of releasing the reins. I'm a "helicopter" parent, and I have a tendency to be over protective. What do you ladies think? Is it safe to let her play out in the fenced in yard with the dogs without constant supervision?

PhoenixFire

Asked by PhoenixFire at 12:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• depends on the kid & the neighborhood. At my old house we had a fenced yard, I felt very safe. My kitchen window over looked the backyard. I would let my then 18 month old old (until recently when we moved in with my BF. She will be 3 in a few weeks) play out side without me right there. I mean, I could see & hear her & I know my DD's personality. I didn't see a problem with it. Where we live now (an apartment), I would not let her go out by herself.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would say yes, but with frequent checks on her. I would let my 2 yo play out back but we have a few holes in the fence and she could easily get into a neighbors yard. I let her play with friends that are older and can keep an eye on her closer. So go ahead and release the reins a little and explain the limits and once she crosses the line rein her back in.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What you could try is letting him play outside by himself while watching through a window. You can go outside and check on him from time to time. Make sure he understands what is allowed and what isn't. Might be worth trying. It will make him feel responsible at the same time.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 12:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my DS is almost 5 and is occasionally allowed to play in our fenced in back yard that is not seen from the street alone while I am making dinner... with the doors and window open and I check on him every few minutes
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have a screened in porch and I let my 2 and 3 year old play out there but I constantly check on them.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the kid. Some kids at 4 are more mature than other. I have 8 kids and it has been different for all of them. If the dogs tend to be protective and bark if someone strange comes around and your child is pretty mature I would say it is ok.
    Momof1614118642

Answer by Momof1614118642 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I personally wouldn't let my FIVE and THREE year olds play outside, unattended at all. Absolutely anything could happen.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say 4 is too young in my opinion. But, I myself am a mother that likes to keep her children close in today's world.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think you should talk to her about stangers but i think it would be ok to let her play outside as long as you raise a window or something so you can hear her and keep checking on her.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Four does sound a bit young bit young - but I am paranoid! Too many stories on the news of kids getting snatched from their front yards.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010