Would you know where Kal-el came from?

I was just reading an article on name choosing and it mentioned a celebrity using the somewhat odd name Kal-el. What makes the name special is that it's Superman's original name (or however the story goes). We're having boy name troubles cause 1. I just can't find many I like compared to the amount of girl names and 2. DH and don't agree on many names, especially boy. We both really like the ring of Kalel but I'm not sure how secure I feel using names of popular figures. Ex: I like the name Paris but I wouldn't use it cause Paris Hilton is a big deal right now. If I had heard the name only, I wouldn't be able to link it to superman. Would you? Would your sons? Even if someone could remember it was a comic name, is it something that could get a lot of negativity anyway? It's not like Dr. Evil. Neither of us are superman fans and I don't want people to think we named our baby after a comic. Thoughts?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 12:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Baby Names

• I would know, as would my DH and my 5 year old DS. More people would know than you think...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I was going to say Superman:) So glad to know I was right.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Darn =(
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son and I both would know. Nicolas Cage named his son Kal-El. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I love the name but then again I am a huge Superman fan. :)
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 1:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I had know idea about Supermans real name. However I asked DH "Have you hear the name Kal-el?" He said "Yeah it's supermans name from Planet Krypton"
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I didn't know that was Superman's name, but then again, I'm not a Superman fan either. LOL. I think you like that name, then you should go for it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• yes, Superman is what I think of first when I hear the name Kal-el.
    But I do like the sound of the name... maybe spell it Calel so it's not so obvious
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Most people will think Superman for sure. maybe you could tweak it so that it sounds SIMILAR to Kal-El but it's not?
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 4:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Kal-El is Superman's Kryptonian name. It is assumed based on the Hebrew for "voice of God", since the creators of Superman were Jewish. "El" is a suffix that means "God", and "Kal" is assumed to be derived from a word that means "voice" (kol) Yes, DH is a complete comic book nut lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010