Why is it that you always hear people complain about their tax dollars...

going to programs like welfare that help with basic necessities such as food, and housing? However you rarely hear people complain about the luxuries we spend money on for the prisons/jails?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• DID YOU KNOW IT COSTS SOMEITNG LIKE 50,000 TO HOUSE ON PRISONER A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME AND HUBBY DONT EVEN MAKE THAT IN A YEAR AND WE HAVE A FAIMLY OF 4......MAKES ME SICK.....IF THEY ARE ON DEATH ROW KILLEM KILLEM NOW!!!!!
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 1:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Probably because it's not something the average person sees or thinks about on a daily basis, but you're completely right. Why are criminals who have been convicted of a crime living a more luxurious life (on tax payers money) then many hard working families??

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Everyone should have to work for what they receive. Both public assistance and prisons.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I say~ Tents... Bread... Water.... Hole in the ground for a sh*tter.... I wish MORE would do this..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree with you! I think people in prisons/jails have it wayyyyy to good. A lot of families cannot afford to take their children to McDonalds to eat, but they give the criminals two sandwiches a piece! Come on now! And some families cannot afford to have a television in every room, but they give criminals TVs.. ugh!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Shanlaree, very good question! The inmates actually pay for these items with the work they do for about 25 cents an hour. I've been inside county correctional facilities and a Federal prison camp and a student and a volunteer. I've never seen a t.v. in an inmate's room. They have one in a common area. A few t.v.s don't take a big chunk of tax dollars. BTW, I am in favor of programs to help people. I just don't think it quite compares to the "luxury" items that are supposedly given to the prisoners.

Someone will mention computers, I'm sure. These days, libraries are computerized, and it is no different in prison.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

there are many people that are on public assistance because they have to be not because they want to be. there are a lot of people that can not physically or mentally work and be a productive member of society. So what should we do about them let them starve and die???
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Nah, I complain about both.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Mostly because that question doesn't pop up very often. I have strong opinions about how our tax dollars are spent in our prison system. While I think prisoners should be treated humanely, they do not deserve anything above the barest essentials.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Because I didn't realize there was money going to jails and prisons for luxury items. How common is that and how much of our money is going to that sort of thing?

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010