I have a son thats 18 almost 19mths. Why isn't he talking???

I want to know what I can do to help him on his way..He is very smart in all other aspects, except not wanting to talk. I have heard da da, and ba ba,,,,but not in a very long time. He will point to what he wants, and if I ask him where is your juice, shoes, car, ect. he knows what they are and will go get them, but why isnt he talking?

Mama437

Asked by Mama437 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he have sibilings? Thats what my did that had 2 older sibilings. I guess it's cause the older ones do all the talking? he turned out fine for me.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• He may not be able to hear. Talk to his Pediatrician and tell them you want to get a hearing screening done for him. Explain your concern. Children should have a vocabulary of 10-50 words by the time they are 2. My son has a speech delay because he couldn't hear for the first 2 years of his life due to ear infections. Has your son had a lot of ear infections? He may have otitis. It is when fluid is filled up inside the ear and it makes all the noises he hears sound like they are under water. The very day that we got my son's ear tubes put in he started to talk.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• At 18 months my daughter had less then 6 words (Mama, Dada, Baba - nothing fancy). Now she's 22 months and it's like a FLOOD gate. Good luck trying to get her to be quiet! Just keep working with him like you are, narrate your day when you guys do something -- if he points to a bird tell him what he sees, "You see that pretty black bird on the branch?" Etc. Just talk, talk, talk. If you don't already you might start a nighttime routine of reading stories too - anything you can do to keep introducing words. Boys do tend to talk a little later.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My daughter is 17 months and has a small vocbular but she bables alot now. She's had tons of ear infections so I know the fluid has dealyed her some, but ENT says her hearing is fine. She's really good about following instructions (when she wants to) but just a little slow at picking up words. Give 'em time. It'll come. Check with the doc. It may be helpful to get ENT to check him out incase there are hearing or developmental problems.
    Anonymous

• My son turned 2 in August, and is just starting to form sentences. Just make sure that you talk to your baby a lot, ask questions like "What is that? Is that an apple? Say apple." This helped my son and now he'll walk into the kitchen, point at the stove and say "Sove...really hot!" Some kids are just late bloomers, but it doesn't necessarily point to a problem! Good luck!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would address this with your pediatrician. He/she may recommend having his hearing tested along with doing a speech/language evaluation.

In the mean time, if you're not already doing so, read to him every day, talk to him as much as possible, and also try to get him to ask for something before you give it to him. (It may just be that he's grown used to pointing and getting what he wants rather than using words).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• your child might need speech thearipst my daughter had them now she only has one in preschool she was the same way and ended up needing tubes in her ears and then all the speech thearpists and help me grow workers she still alittle behind but she no longer points to what she wants she can say it alittle
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My daughter will be 19 month's next month, and she is just starting to talk they are small words, but hey you can understand her very well. All I can say issit her down in just start forming words with her thats what I do with my daughter maybe that will help.
    MyTwoAngels0709

Answer by MyTwoAngels0709 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008