I left a large dutch oven of soup out all night, is it still good?

It was hot at 8pm and covered. it has tomatoes, soy milk, cheese, chicken and ravioli in it. It's been 12 hours, it's bad isn't it? I spent 3 hours simmering it and my boyfriend told me twice he'd put it away.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I took a class with a nutritionist, and she said that most of the stomach "flu" symptoms that people have are actually from eating something bad, we just don't realize it. It's not worth taking a chance to me. I sure wouldn't feed it to my family and risk illness for a pot of soup. Our nutrition teacher said reheating it isn't enough. With that logic you could actually eat any bad food as long as you reheat it, but it isn't safe to do that, so I sure wouldn't take the chance.

I'd let him make a fresh pot!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I wouldnt trust it...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Eh.. I wouldn't eat it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Because of the milk it's probably no good...Lol if your husband is anything like mine he doesn't half listen when you ask a question..."Did you put the soup away?" *distant* "huh? yeah" so aggervating!
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• No, it's not okay. Food isn't supposed to be left out for more than 2 hours.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would have gotten up and put it away myself before bedtime, then told the guy thanks for nothing. 12 hours, hot or not when you went to bed , it's bad now.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• No, it isn't safe to eat. Yes, you may not get sick from it but it isn't wroth the risk. If it were maybe 3-4 hours then okay but not 12 hours. But the rule of thumb for food left out is after 2 hours needs to be put in the refrigerator or freezer. The soup you made has dairy and chicken in it and it is even more unsafe then lets say vegetables or bread type foods. I would definitely not eat it.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i co-sleep and it's sneak out of bed without waking the baby, and he told me he had already done it. bah.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• No way would I eat that!
    Bacteria grows best at room temp. 12 hours..... Sorry Charlie.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Throw it out!!!!! NO food is supposed to be left out for more than 2 hours. As someone who has had food poisoning, it is not worth the risk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010