What about dead beat dads?

Everyone wants to go after "welfare moms" what about the dads not paying child support. I have food stamps but would not need them if the father of my kids paid child support like he was ordered too. He keeps switching jobs right when they find him, then it takes 6+mo to find him again. So many single moms have this problem and would not need any assistance if someone could get them to pay.
My question is would you be willing to put $$ into the child support programs if you knew that it would mean that your tax $$ would go to other things than feeding other "lazy" peoples kids?
I honestly believe that my situation is very common with people on assistance
(a senator that is running in my state wants to do this exact thing and I am voting for him)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Guys like that irritate me. It's your kid! The good news is eventually he's going to have to keep a job, because otherwise no one will hire him. When I hire someone new I look at their job history, if they are jumping from job to job every 6 months, to me that's not very reliable and I won't hire them.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Where I'm from if they don't pay, they go to jail!! Women too. My 3rd cousin (female) went to jail because she was like $300 behind. And they sit there for 6 months or until they are paid up! There's really not a lot you can do about them running. Those ones are just useless anyway!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• There should be a lot more things in place to catch these deadbeat dads. My daughter's deadbeat owes over 25K in backed child support. He avoids it by working as an independant contractor and recieving cash wages. The state can't go after the company he works for, even though it's the same company that he does all his work for. He's been to jail twice for not paying. It's been six months since he last went to court and was ordered to pay every month or go to prison. I've recieved 2 - $42 payment in that time.

I could go to a private company, but my state does not allow it until she reaches the age of 18.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I am willing to bet he was a loser when you met him. Why have kids with a loser and then be shocked when he doesn't pay support? Every woman should be prepared to support themselves and the children they have. Men are not reliable now a days. You can point the finger at him all you want to but your the other half of the reason your own state assistance.
    Lots of men are deadbeats. Get over it and take care of you and yours. I do.
    Anonymous

• Deadbeat Parents (not just dad's are ordered to pay child support) should be handled. It is a blatant disregard of their obligations.

However, I also don't agree the courts ordering a father to pay so much out of his paycheck that he is left with ONLY $80 to live on each week. That doesn't buy groceries, heat, lights or even a roof over their head!

SandyP0626

Answer by SandyP0626 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• anon 3:52
    I knew him for 10 yrs b4 we even got together and had no idea he was going to be like that. So what you are saying is nobody in any relationship should trust the father of their children. What a wonderful world you live in. YOU CANT HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITHOUT TRUST!!!
    Oh and the reason he is doing this is I didnt have girls and thats what he wanted, now he does and want to keep the money for her.
    Anonymous

• My dad was one of those deadbeat dads. It was very hard for my mom. She had ZERO work experience when he left us. I remember times when she worked 3 jobs. I practically raised my youngest sister, 11 yrs younger than me because mom had to work. My dad topped his off at $18,000, almost 6 years of no support. Texas law caught up with him and he finally paid it off. My mom divided the money between the children and sent us off to college. I think they need to do more to make the deadbeats pay. I also think a form of assistance just for these types of situations would be great! It is easy to prove the situation.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• If you are ordered to pay child support, you should pay it no matter who you are. I have some friends and they each have kids from other relationships. He owes over 10 grand and she owes over 4 grand. They haven't gone to jail and I think they should.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I'm on the other side of the fence. I have a son who pays 400 a month for 1 child. They take 100 out of his check EVERY WEEK. His job hasn't been working full weeks for seveal weeks/months so when he gets his check, after they take out his child support he is lucky if he brings home 75! so he has to live off of 300 a month. She on the other hand is working 2 jobs, makes more hrly than he does, and when she found out he enlisted in the guards before he could go to his first training she had the paperwork for them to take money out of that check too. He can't get ahead.! So there are many fathers out there that are NOT deadbeat dads. But I can see how they can fall behind, how are they supposed to live? And the mother still holds all the cards as far as visitation, etc.. She just bought a new vehicle and a new house and he is still living with us at 23 because there is just no way he can do it on his own.
    cubandkatsgma

Answer by cubandkatsgma at 7:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• cubandkatsgma----that was my point. My step-brother has the same problem. His ex-wife cheated on him, said that the youngest was not his but insists on him paying for all three of the kids. She works but is paid under the table, by her own admission, so the judge has ordered that my brother pay for all the financial needs, which, if he is lucky, he then gets $80 a week to live. He now lives with a new girlfriend who pays for the home and the car and does work around the house to pull his weight. I don't think that is right either. His child support payments are almost $1,000 per month.

My dad had two kids, myself and my brother, that he paid for and it was $250 for each of us until we were 18. He was a VP of a large company, making LOTS but my mom worked hard to make ends meet. But I guess, if she was desperate, she could have asked him for help but never did.
    SandyP0626

Answer by SandyP0626 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008