About the bible

Is there anywhere in the bible that says you can pray God into your heart and be saved?

I am confused about this because I thought you had to be baptized to be saved..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on the specific denomination as to whether baptism is a "requirement" for salvation. But in answer to your question YES you can pray in your heart. In fact it's preferred
    [5] And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    [6] But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
    [7] But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
    [8] Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
    -- Jesus, Matthew 6:5-8
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Now that's not saying Literally to go into your closet to pray, but that prayers are for the most part a PRIVATE affair and should be done with sincerity and come from the heart.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• no, you don't have to be baptised to be saved, but it is good to be baptised, i'm not baptised but i am saved, as long as you believe and God knows what you are thinking of Him then thats what matters most!!!
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 4:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• OK, I need to get out my bible for the verses, but there are tons! Lots of women on here are better at this than me...lol, but I will look for you!
    The verse that comes into my mind is "Belive on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved" -- That's IT, no magic potion, another verse says "Belive in you heart and express with you lips, that Jesus Christ is Lord". ~~ Baptism is an outward expression of your new belief. A symbol of Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, and a symbol of your belief in that.
    I'll see what I can find, or you can message me if you want. But, be warned, I do NOT have all the answers! =)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• No.. water baptism is now what saves you.

The Bible gives some specific instructions that you are to follow in order to become a Christian, or in order to be born again. Look at Romans 10:8-11:

…The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• cont: A simple prayer is:
    Heavenly Father, in the Name of Jesus, I present myself to You.

I pray and ask Jesus to be Lord over my life. I believe it in my heart, so I say it with my mouth: “Jesus has been raised from the dead.” This moment, I make Him the Lord over my life.

Jesus, come into my heart. I believe this moment that I am saved, I say it now: “I am reborn. I am a Christian. I am a child of Almighty God.”
    bonn777

• cont: You must be saved then water baptized.

Water baptism also gives the believer the opportunity to openly testify to others of his born-again experience. It serves as an outward sign and testimony of an inward grace. The believer has been crucified with Christ, buried with Him and raised together with Him to walk in newness of life (Galatians 2:20; Romans 6:4).

Jesus said in Matthew 28:19, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
    bonn777

• I don't believe you have to be baptized to be saved. Have you ever wondered why Jesus himself got baptized? Do you think He needed to be saved? He did it as an example for us, so that we would be baptized to tell others of our inward transformation.You see, baptism is meant for us to do to tell others that God has changed our hearts. The Bible says "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved" ( Acts 16:31). I will pray for you.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know I'm saved because God says if you confess with your mouth (repent and ask forgiveness for sins) and believe in your heart ...you will be saved. It's not a guessing game. God offered it, I accepted it, he saved me. Baptism does not save you but it's an important part of your relationship with Christ. It is an outward expression of an inner change. It's a symbolic event of Jesus' death, burial and resurrection.

Jesus died once for all. He chose to forgive EVERYONE and offer the way to salvation. All we need to do is accept his free gift with sincerity and repentance of heart. There isn't anything we can do to work for it or earn it. But...it's not boastful to say "I'm saved." It's out of rejoicing in the truth that we praise God.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I appreciate everyone's words and thoughts. It is nice to have a topic where people can be nice and help out one another w/out causing a feud.
    Anonymous