fish while breastfeeding

I know tuna is high in mercury. How much is safe to eat per week while breastfeeding?
Please keep rude comments to yourself.

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not saying this to be rude. I thought you wanted to go fishing while you were breastfeeding.
    I had decided that it would be fine for you to sit next to a slow running creek with a fishing pole lay back with your feet up.
    But it would not be okay to be on a fishing boat in the ocean strapped to your seat with a huge pole and a 200 pound fish at the other end while you are breast feeding.
    I think it would be okay to have a small piece of tuna once a month while breast feeding.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hilarious. Guess I didn't lable this one well.
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• maby 2 cans a weeks it depends some arent harmful at all depending on where theyre caught :) i love fish too :) i eat whatever i like thats just me though.. i believe my parents and great grands didnt have a instruction booklet on eating when pregnant why should i ? i just use my head.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It makes sense that you can have the same amount while breastfeeding that you can while pregnant.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/ is the best breastfeeding web site. It says the FDA guidelines are being updated. I tried to find if there are new FDA guidelines out with no luck.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say the same amount of fish you could eat while pregnant is safest, so 1-2 servings a week of a fish that is NOT high in mercury, if you know it's high in mercury go with a few servings a month at most. Salmon (wild) is a great fish for nutrients and is not as high in mercury as things like tuna.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The light tuna is one of the low mercury fish. You want to avoid the Albacore tuna.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Here is a link for from the FDA about tuna

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010