Did your ADHDer want to go to college? Did he/she?

ADHD is something my child has suffered with all his school life. Never got any help, never were entitled to an IEP or 504 (not for lack of trying). He's smarter than most adults I know but he never fit into the school setting. Even so, with hard work and lots of support at home, he did it! But when the subject of college comes up, he cringes. He's exhausted when it comes to school and the thought of spending his time and energy at something that he has to work so hard for is anything but exciting. Have you been through this with your child? Any wisdom to share?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I went through this actually. I wasn't diagnosed until college, but it school life was a constant struggle from the get-go. What I learned is that I really needed to be doing what I enjoyed doing, which meant changing my major. My school also had a great learning center that provided excellent support for my ADHD needs. I met with someone every week to make sure I was staying on track and keeping organized. So I recommend A. help him choose a major he's really passionate about; B. choose a school with a great learning center. Good luck! :)
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree with the 1st answer and am sorry to hear you had no support of an IEP. I have 2 boys with ADHD, that are also hearing impaired. Sadly our school system is not set up for these type of kids and still there are some teachers who don't believe in it. Is your son on any medication? If not I would really recommend him seeing a doctor. I use Concerta for both my boys and it makes a huge difference. My boys plan to go to college because that has been what they have been taught. However, good alternatives are trade schools, tech schools where the learning is much shorter and hands on. My boys love computers, elecronics, and games. Boy are very good at drawing....we are pursuing careers in graphics, especially computer graphics..... Hope this helps some!
    Neilia D.

Answer by Neilia D. at 1:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am sorry for the lack of help from your schools Two of my 4 have been diagnosed with ADD my 19 year old daughter and 12 year old son.They don't have any conduct issues but attention deficit.Being on the patch made my daughter less exhausted.She is very bright but studied for ever and her grades DID not match her effort .I think of the meds giving her value for time.She still had to and has to study but a normal amount and her grades went up as her retention improved.All our staff and teachers were more than willing to help. there were a couple of jerks but overall her h.s. was helpful.She attends college out of state and is on the golf team .We found out during her sr year that many colleges have centers to help students with any type of disability.Her doc filled out a form and she gets unlimited tutoring which comes in handy for pre-cal and cal.Have you checked the meds or tried new ones.Mine are on the patch.GL

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My brother and I both have ADHD our parents gave us the choice military or college, we had to have medical ins and they could not keep it on us unless we were full time college students. We both chose college and love it. We get to study what we are interested in so we enjoy it more and actually do really well.
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 6:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• She did not want to go to college, but found out that she would have to in able to do what she wanted to do. So, she signed up for a private accelerated college. It has worked for her!! She is with mostly the same people all along, the units are 5 weeks apiece so she doesn't get bored with them, and she is getting her AA this month after only 13 months of study.
    mictamali

Answer by mictamali at 8:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• DH has severe ADHD. He also has a degree in computer science. It can be done.

That said, it will be a lot easier for him if he does it on his terms. It might help to take a break if he needs it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I tried going to 2 yr college when I graduated. I couldn't pull it off. I went & learned a trade instead. It worked out the same. As one teacher said, for some of us, college is a great tool for others a burden. For those they have on-line courses or Trade schools. Which he can get through Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program. They pay for all schooling & job. When I turned 35 years old. I finally had enough tools under my belt to help compensate for my disabilities, like attention deficit and anxiety disorder. I took full advantage of the tutors. I graduated in Data Processing. Working with computers before it was popular! Plz continue to encourage him. Have him go to the college to take a test that matches up his skills with a profession. You may even find on on-line. Ask google for a free on-line test for what r ur profession skills. Right now hes burnt out and overwhemed. Ask again next Summer. Hope this helps
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My oldest son,who is now 29,barely got through high school....it was a fight every day! He did not go to college nor did he want to. He did go to a trade school which worked out much better because it was of interest to him.
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 7:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010