Is it dangerous to sleep on your belly when you're pregnant?

I'm about 4 months along and I wake up to find myself on my belly and I get worried. It doesn't feel uncomfortable to me, but I'm scared it might be dangerous. Thanks!

mommylicious210

Asked by mommylicious210 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had a HUGE problem sleeping on my back because i got into a wreck about 6 months before i got pregnant and it messed my shoulder up BAD! Well the only way i could get a full nights rest. So i asked my doctor about it. My doctor said its fine just as long as it isnt uncomfortable for you and as long as it doesnt hurt you. But if your scared about it ask your doctor. I slept on my stomach until I was 7 1/2-8 months pregnant and then at 9 months i was to big to even think about it and no matter how i slept it was uncomfortable so i just slept on my side haha.
    KBM99

Answer by KBM99 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Your baby is WELL protected in the womb. Unless you are doing belly-flops onto the bed every night (which I highly doubt...lol) you'll be fine. As long as you can comfortably sleep on your tummy, feel free. (I found a way to lay on my tummy the entire 9 months...it wasn't *true* tummy sleeping, but it was good enough for me!!)
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• o by the way my doctor said its just not good for you to sleep on your right side (i think it was the right side i might be wrong though so you'll have to ask) because there is a main tube or something over there that will keep oxygen or blood or something from going to your baby. Just talk to your doctor though.
    KBM99

Answer by KBM99 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Go ahead and sleep on your tummy. Your not going to harm your baby.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 1:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Im almost in my 7th month and the only way I can get comfy is to sleep on my Tummy, I put a pillow on one side though to keep my belly from being all the way under me, its really comfortable also
    michiganmom83

Answer by michiganmom83 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have heard that you are supposed to sleep on your LEFT side. Not right. It has to do with making sure that there is proper blood flow. Back sleeping can interfere with this and it just isn't good to put all that weight on your belly.
    cacnotcam

Answer by cacnotcam at 1:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Believe me, you will wake up from pain eventually if you sleep on your belly too much more. I think I was about 4 or 5 months when I was unable to sleep on my belly anymore. I was always a tummy sleeper until then. I would wake up in so much pain because of the pressure. As for sleeping on the back as an alternative I would wake up unable to breathe from the pressure. I just learned that if I wanted any kind rest it was on the side for me.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think at 4 mos - you should be ok... at 8 mos... is a different story (it hurts then).
    Sophiasmom119

Answer by Sophiasmom119 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Depending on how far you are you will be able to do it without any harm. But the healthiest way is to sleep on your left side so that your body has full circulation for you and the baby, you wouldn't want to sleep on your tummy in the mid and last trimester anyway, eventually it will become uncomfortable, I know, because I tried lol.
    Sexymom75

Answer by Sexymom75 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2008