What do you do to cut utility bills?

I like to think that I do most everything I can to save on water, gas, and electric but we recently moved from a small 3 bedroom townhome to a much larger 4 bedroom house and the bills are starting to roll in. So far they haven't been too outrageous but with cold weather lurking I'd like to hear what types of things that other people do to help with their utility costs.

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have a 4 bedroom house but only use the Master and my Sons bedroom upstairs. So when it gets really cold outside, I close the other two bedroom doors so I confine the heat to the used rooms and the thermostat is in the hall so it is unaffected by any drafts from those rooms. I also lower the heat when I am going out for the day and at night, we dress warmly for bed. Unless it is really cold outside I can usually leave the heat off altogether on the upstairs thermostat too. Good curtains and blinds can keep the cold out also. As for electricity, we have replaced most of our light bulbs with the new spiral low energy bulbs as well. We have skylights and never really need the lights on during the day anyway. I have under mounted lighting under my kitchen cabinets so I hardly light the high hats. I also want my DH to put another layer of insulation in the attic when he gets a chance, that keeps more heat in the house.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• unplug your appliances when not in use, besides your stove, dish washer and fridge of coarse. Turn of lams and TVs when leaving the room. Buy those energy lights
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I wash everything in cold water, turn the heat or the air way up or down when we are not home and at night, unplug oh and hang to dry most clothes - it helps :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Our biggest savings comes from turning down the thermostat in winter. It's darn cold but I can't see keeping the house at optimal warmth when no one is home during the day (I actually work from home but I'll pile on the sweaters if necessary) or at night when we're all asleep and toasty under the covers. I keep our thermostat at 65 from 5:30 am - 8:00 am and from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm; the rest of the time it's at 62.
    Anonymous

• Take old clothes and wrap them the long way in a towel or pillowcase. You can also wrap it in plastic for waterproofing. Pin it or sew it so that it holds together. Place this roll at the bottom of your windows or sliding glass doors to help block drafts. It also helps in the middle of the window were air can seep in.

My crockpot is my favorite friend, especially in the cooler months. Use this to cook one pot wonders and save time, money, and electricity.
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 1:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Charge your computer and phone at work or in the car.
    Make love in the dark.
    Do not heat dry your dishes in the dishwasher.
    Make casseroles, cakes, whatever goes in the oven, on the same day. So the heat is being used efficiently.
    Keep the freezer full so that air does not exchange when you open the door.
    Get everything you need for dinner out of the refrig so that you do not need to keep opening the door.
    Check to see that the windows and doors are well sealed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• have you looked into having your new house weatherized? depending on where you live there might be some programs that would help you do it at a discounted price. also use plastic over the windows during the winter, if you live somewhere that gets lots of snow and/or cold weather where u don't open windows anyways then just use the weatherizing plastic to cover them for the winter months, its helps WONDERS on the heating bill especially if you have older drafty windows.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• *lamps
    mommy_of_two388