How often should my 4 yr old have a bm

He seems to poop only a few times a week. Sometimes I give him baby prune/apple juice to help things along.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• pear juice is a great natural laxative. Chiropractic care has also been known to help things like that. When I worked at a daycare center I once brought a box of Nature's Path Optimum cereal for the children to have at snack time. All the children had 2 BM's that day. You can buy it in the health food section of the grocery store. And then sometimes things like dairy can cause problems for people(either consipation or diarrea) you could cut that down and see if it helps.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Are his bm's painful? Is his lower stomach hard? Does he complain about stomach aches? If he does he could be constipated. My doctor recommended miralax for both my childred. The directions are right on the box. If he's not complaining though, it could be normal...everybody's different. Also, I buy the prunes that are individually wrapped, I think sunsweet puts them out. My kids love them and it keeps them regular.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My son is 4 and he is the same way. He will go days without having a BM. He doesn't have any problems when he does go, ex. straining or hard poo. We've been thinking about trying somehting like miralax. sorry i'm not much help
    bbysqd

Answer by bbysqd at 4:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Anywhere from a couple times a day to a couple of times a week is normal.
    If he isn't having hard poops, if he isn't having a hard time pooping, then he is fine - even if he only goes every few days. It is not "normal" to go once a day... some people do, some people don't and both are "normal".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• if the pooh is pepple like then your child is constipated. should poop 1once a day at least
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2008