what do you suggest while breast feeding

my husband want to be able to feed our baby when it gets here but we want to breast feed this is our frist baby

newmomma2011

Asked by newmomma2011 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's alot of other things dad can do to bond with baby beside feed him/her. But, if he insists on feeding baby, I would wait until after the first 4-6 weeks, This gives you & baby time to get the hang of Bfing, and gives your body time to adjust your supply to baby's needs. Once you get to about 4 weeks, you could get a small hand pump (if your only going to do it occasionally) and you could pump a small bottle for dad to give baby. There's some great bfing groups on here, I encourage you to join them.
    PhotoBella

Answer by PhotoBella at 1:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Tell him to bond in other ways. Hold the baby, wear the baby, change the baby, read to the baby, talk to the baby....he can do everything else. Feeding is not the ONLY way to bond. And certainly, he can find other ways. Giving baby a bottle is no different in terms od bonding than holding and talking and reading to the baby.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would suggest not letting him feed for at least 3 weeks. That way you will get a good supply established and perfect your nursing technique. Then start pumping some and let him try. Keep in mind that you may need to get several different types of bottle/nipple combinations as some babies are picky about what they use.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Not to mention, you need to establish a good milk supply first and not risk nipple confusion. Once all that is done..like say 6 weeks, then, try and pump or hand express. Not all women can pump much milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Pump and let him feed with a bottle. My kids went from bottle to breast, no problem at all. I introduced the bottle immediately.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• for the first 6 wks. no bottles or pacifiers. well especially bottles until breastfeding is establish.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Why did I get voted down for telling the truth.

Whoever did it. Go ahead..do what you wish. Hopefully it will work for you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son didn't have any troubles going between breast and bottle. Make sure you have a bottle with a nice slow nipple so that it's just as much work with the bottle as it is with the breast.
    With our family, my husband did one bottle/night so that I was able to rest.... at first I would pump for about 10 mins and go back to sleep... and DH would be up until he was asleep again... later when he was older I just skipped the pumping and got a nice stretch of sleep :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What I say is wait to introduce a bottle of pumped milk until breast feeding is well established. For some babies that happens really quickly, for others it can take a little while. See how your little one does with it and decide accordingly. Don't set a time limit now when you have no idea on how your baby will act. You'll find that applies to a lot of different things in having a child- do things when baby is ready not when the clock or calendar tell you to do them and your life will be easier. Also, plan other ways for Dad to bond with baby. There is nothing like the warm bundle of a child sleeping on your chest, or the feeling of knowing the way you coo and cuddle your baby always calms her down. Babies need a lot of things besides being fed and all of those things can be shared by both parents.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Really it's your choice. Bottle feeding can dramatically interfere w/ the breastfeeding relationship. (Just like the 57 resteraunts on my way home interfere w/ my desire to cook.) There will be plenty of opportunities for dad to bottle feed when you are NOT AT HOME. this is key. But really as PPs have said there are millions of ways to bond. What does food have to do w/ bonding?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010