How did you find your religion/spiritual direction?

I am curious as to how different people come to find the religious/spiritual path that is right for them. Were you raised with it? Did you find it on your own as an adult? Was it sudden or gradual? Did someone "save" you or introduce you to your path? Do you think you're done searching, or do you expect your faith/spirituality to change as you age and experience more of life?

BlueFrogMama

Asked by BlueFrogMama at 4:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised in church... however after becoming an adult I did stray and began learning about Wicca. After alot of searching and reading my bible and seeking God, I returned to Christianity. I am done searching... nothing out there was able to fill the emptiness that was inside, there is nothing else and knowone else for me but Jesus.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was born into a christian family, but I had to find my own personl relationship with God on my own. It says in the bible that if we seek Him, He will reveal Himself to us.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was raised with one particular religion as a child. As an adult, I followed my heart.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 4:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Raised in church/ Christian home, started researching different religions and beliefs, gradual path so to speak in that I kept researching until I found the belief that fit me and I could fully accept. I didn't look to fit in with a belief, I looked for a belief to fit in with me. SO I was always an atheist it just took me a while to fully discover it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was raised in a Christian home (I'm a pastor's kid) but I chose to have a relationship with Christ on my own. I was given the opportunity to accept God as truth and I did. I found my Savior and I'm sticking with Him. My relationship has grown and changed as my desire for God has strengthened and that's a good thing!
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Religion wasn't really an issue growing up.It was a matter of you know right from wrong.As an adult my husband starting going to church.Inititally i went with him just to make sure he was going and not cheating on me(lol). I have been there for 8 years now, because i have GOD (not for the cheating thing Lol)
    kdr82577

Answer by kdr82577 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I found what I believe in because of my Mother, and because of an abuse husband. Someone came along and taught me how to get away from the violence. They showed me a light at the end of the tunnel I lived in. Most of all, it WORKED!!!! I am now married to the greatest man I could of ever met. He is the GREATEST!! He is so full of understanding, love, compassion, and a heart as big or bigger than Texas!!!!!!!!! I also , have now found a friend that I thought was just awlful, but even though we don't believe the same at all, I found out that SHE IS A WONDERFUL PERSON AND HER HEART IF FULL OF COMPASSION, SHE HELPED ME!!!!!!
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 6:37 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I was raised strict Roman Catholic and adopted these beliefs blindly until I went to college and allowed myself to take into consideration various aspects of philosophy, science, history, and world politics. I explored all belief systems that interested me, and I'm still searching today. I find the Buddhist way of life is the most comfortable to me - however, I don't agree with everything that Buddhists beleive, or everything that any one religion beleives. So I say that I am currently agnostic - I believe there is something higher than us all out there, but I do not give it a name, and there are no rules to follow - there is simple human kindess.
    PotatoMama

Answer by PotatoMama at 3:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008