For those who think spanking is ok: what age do you think is "okay" to start spanking your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• Smaking the hand was the first I ever did with my kids. As soon as they were old enough to me moving around and getting into things 8-9 months. But thats just a smak on the hand while they are learning what NO means..
    Anonymous

• As soon as my daughter was able to understand what "no" meant. She's at the age now where she is pushing her boundaries to see how far she can go. She only rarely gets spankings and that's only after talking to her and time outs are not effective.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• All my kids got their first little idea of spanking when they kept trying to roll over during a diaper change..LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I started smacking the hand first 7-9 months and then from there we are spanking, and he is now 13 months, so not much spanking now but it still happens...
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• As soon as they understand what no means, and i've said it twice, and they keep doing it while looking at me is when i would give mine a little pop on the butt to show them that its not ok, which was about 9-10 months or so. but even then it wasn't anything that would be concidered a spanking. Now that they are 2 and 4 if they do something that can hurt them (running into the road, trying to touch the stove. . .) i will warn them once and if they try it again then its a pop on the butt again.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Around two a light smack on the hand -- but the situation has to be extreme. I rely mostly on time outs, distraction, redirection around age two - three... around three a pop on the butt (over pants and diaper) might happen but its not the first resort. Real spankings around 4. My son is four and a half and went through a phase of deliberately peeing on the floor just because he was angry. He got several real spankings. We do not jump right to that - its an extreme for extreme discipline. We don't smack or spank angry. We cool off first and whoever is less mad handles discipline. I've many times told my husband, "You need to go in and spank him, I am too angry."
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• like others have said as soon as they understand what NO is....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Answered at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 by: christyg: Ditto for me.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Never. My daughter is really well behaved and I have never been physical with her. I want my children to listen to me because they respect what I am saying and know I am looking out for their best interest, not because they are afraid I will beat them. I started time-out when she was about a year old and have never had a problem.
    MaddisonsMomma

Answer by MaddisonsMomma at 6:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I'm not sure exactly but I did swat them on the hand as soon as I knew they knew what No meant.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008