Do kids really need to start school at the preschool level or wait till kindergarten?

I taught my kids till they reached kindergarten. They knew how to spell and write their names, address, and phone number, said, recognized, and wrote all alphabets and numbers up to 100 and understood the concept of changing just the first number to make the other hundreds. They knew 2 digit math and carry overs, and one digit subtractions. When they entered kindergarten they were given a oversize red crayon and told to trace the letter A. Mentally, they were still kindergartners, not 1st graders although their work level was. Do I do too much teaching them when they thought they were just having fun? I had to go back to work. Wish I had found someone to home school them. In high school, they could have been better students, just average.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 2:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in

• You are the exception. Socialization is also an important part of preschool.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter read before kindergarten. They started out slow, but moved pretty quickly. The whole class was reading by the end of the year. My daughter also didn't go to preschool. She went to daycare. She is still at the top of her class, but mentally she fits right in. I think socialization is important too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I did not know this answer until last week. YES! they HAVE to go to preschool. Today is VERY different compared to when I grew up. I'm 43. I started my almost 4 year old (4 next month) in Preschool. They recommended him be put into the 4 year old program. I come to learn that ALL of the other children in his class have been sent there since they were 2 years old! They all knew the drill and were used to the class room structure. My Son is Very smart academically for his age but has never experienced a structured class environment. So I took him out and put him in the 3 year old class and will send him to another year for 4 year olds next year. So the point is, today Parents are sending their children to "Preschool" for up to three + years for whatever reason. So a child who has never gone is at a disadvantage when starting kindergarten. I guess Teachers today are (Cont:)

Anonymous

• Cont: expecting a child to be fully accustomed to a structured class environment and every thing that comes with it prior to actually starting school! Totally unbelievable to me since when I grew up, no one went to Preschool or Daycare. You will hear responses to your question stating that children are now required to already be versed in everything we learned IN kindergarten. That tells me that actually Teachers today do not want to teach like when I grew up. The Parents are required to do the Teaching while the Teachers doll out ridiculous amounts of homework and they get paid while the Parents do the work. The children today are not smarter then we were, they are just made to mature quicker and have less creativity as a result. Why are there more children on stress related drugs today then ever? I will receive thumbs down because there are a lot of Teachers on this site and the truth may hurt, sorry.

Anonymous

• I feel a child should stay with their mom for as long as possible. At 4 yrs. old they are still babies and need their moms.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 3:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have yet to find a reason for pre-school. My kids are staying home til Kindergarten, just like I did. And like your kids they are ahead of the norm... The difference is that most parents can't or won't stay home and teach their children today. If a child is going to be in daycare all day, they might as well go to pre-school...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• not really but it can be good to give them a head start and to get use to being with other kids ... but me personally waited til kinder and i had a hard time to him in his class he was huggin the pole lol he didnt wanna go in kinda almost gave in and took him home..(tear) lol
    chulafromhtown

Answer by chulafromhtown at 10:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't think they should. My nephew is a honor roll A & B student. He knew how to spell,write,read and count. The teacher had to give him second and thrird grade work in kindgarden. Because he was so far ahead of the class he knew everything she was teaching. He even helped student that were behind. He's in advancement classes now. He also had offers to go to Wake Forest in N.C
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If I'm at work 9-10 hours a day, then yes, she should start at preschool (if there's room).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2010