how to get tangles out without my daughter screaming bloody murder!?

my little girl has SUPER curly hair and it tangles very easily. i cant get her to let me comb it out in the bath without her screaming then entire time, no matter how gentle i try to be. does anyone know of any tips, tricks or products that help with the tangles? 'no more tangles' doesnt do jack diddily. right now i wet her hair, put conditioner in it and let it sit 10-15 minutes while she plays and then i try to comb it through section by section and then rinse. she fights me EVERY time and i am so tired of it. what can i do??

AnnaVictoria

Asked by AnnaVictoria at 2:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• used to have issue with it
    still do at times
    i used to say to her that it was just part of the bath, would try to distract, turn water off if she had fit, unplugged, then said part of the bath etc etc etc
    one day i was so tired of this fight, i said " time to comb your hair because mommy says so!"
    and she sat still! i think it was a fluke, but i try lots of dis tracting
    how old is your daughter?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Cholesterol . I buy a big vat of it at a time lol. They sell it at wallmart and sallys beauty supply its in the black hair section. I love it! I have a squirt bottle with it and water, and use it as a conditioner twice a week.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Do you hold the hair right at the top of the tangle? If you do that and go in quick shallow strokes it normally helps. Also make sure you braid her hair at night so in the morning its not so tangled.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You brush or comb it before it gets wet. You learn that when you have a poodle. Use a spray on, leave on conditioner after the bath. Keep her hair short until she is old enough that hair care is easier.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter is the same way. I wash it, then condition it (I use a good adult conditioner). I rinse that out and condition a second time. When she gets out I use a tangle spray. The before she goes to sleep I put it in a braid so it doesn't get knotty while she sleeps.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I condition my daughter's curly hair every night, comb it out, and put it in a loose pony tail so that it doesn't tangle too badly while she sleeps. I use Suave detangler; it works much better for us than the no more tangles spray. My daughter is 8 now, so it has gotten better, but she fought me all of the time when she was younger.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have really long/thick hair and my hair gets tangled all the time. I have to use conditioner 2x and leave it in for 10 mins. then I can brush it. There is a leave in conditioner for dry hair, Im not sure what its called but I think you can get it at walmart
    Ethans_mom718

Answer by Ethans_mom718 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• thanks to everyone for the comments! ill answer a few questions:

Ive tried telling her its part of the bath and she cant get out until i comb her hair and it doesnt work with her haha. ive tried bribing her with outings, walks, treats, etc.. nothing helps. she will agree to it and then once i start she screams and acts out and i have to revoke the prize.

with the cholesterol, how does that work? is it just like a conditioner or do you have to shampoo it out?

I do hold the hair right at the base, at her scalp and work from the bottom up, but she just hollers. she's only 2.5, and her hair is not very long so i dont think i can braid it. plus, i think a big issue i have is that i love for her to wear it curly, its just hard to maintain.

what type of tangle spray do you use, mompam? do you have issues rinsing your daughters hair? my girl gets crazy if i even want to rinse it!
    AnnaVictoria

Comment by AnnaVictoria (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I use Suave Detangler for kids on my own hair, and my daughters, and it is wonderful. It really works.
    piscesmommy123

Answer by piscesmommy123 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter is 7 now, but I've been doing this for a while. I have her lie on her back in the tub to rinse it out. Also, when she used to sit up, I would have her hold a wash cloth over her eyes so the water didn't get in them. I think I have the Suave detangler.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2010