this is important. intolerance and discrimination against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender needs to end

these kids had families, people who loved them. and intolerance took their lives. what if this was your child? http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=592846987806&ref=mf

aliishott2

Asked by aliishott2 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• aliishott2

Comment by aliishott2 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree with you! But it will never end sadly. People who discriminate are just plan ignorant. They keep saying in their closed minded head that "It will never happen to my kid" All we can do is teach our kids not to discriminate and that's the best we can do.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I heard about this and I agree!!! Children are so mean to other children who are different, and the ones who pick on others learn it from their parents most of the time. Tolerance has to start with us!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Asher Brown went to a middle school in my daughters' school district. We are extremely angry that the school is denying that the family ever tried to contact them about the torture he was receiving in school when in fact there was many phone calls and visits to the school making them VERY aware of the problem. Our school district says "Zero Tolerance", but that is a load of crap! On the day that Asher took his life, he was kicked down a flight of stairs, his books were then kicked everywhere by another student who then kicked him down the next flight of stairs. The school wasn't aware my ass!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I just posted this on my facebook. It gave me chills. How very very heartbreaking that kids are encouraged and allowed to be so incredibly cruel.
    Parents need to step up but unfortuately, it is hateful parents that raise hateful children. They think they are right. Change needs to begin with schools. There needs to be stricter rules, ENFORCED rules, and serious action taken when a child is being bullied. If I found out my child was one who pushed another down the stairs as a HATE CRIME, I would pull his ass out of school, make him attend gay pride parades and homeschool him until he could be trusted around others.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• that is disgusting. do these kids (and adults running the school) even realize that he was a human being
    aliishott2

Comment by aliishott2 (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It is too sad for words. I dropped out of high school because of all the harassment I endured for years! These kids lost their lives!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Good point aliishott2, I don't think they care!

Bullies have always been around, it's just that they now have more outlets for inflicting pain; and they get to hide in cowardice, behind an electronic device...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I can't even watch it because I know it'll just upset me. Everytime people trash talk homosexuals I want to just...well...punch them in the face. I don't care if that's not putting it nicely! I don't care what the bible says. People CAN NOT HELP being gay, just like people can't help being straight. It's a genetic mutation (just because I say 'mutation' doesn't make it bad, either).
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It is simply tragic. There are too many stories, still, about bullying, and the tragic consequences--and not just of GLBTs, either. Any child with any difference can become a victim, and often a silent one, because the fear instilled by the bullies prevents the victims from looking for help. If they do look for help and can't find any, they give up hope and the result is often fatal. It has to stop. It just has to stop.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2010