As a Christian, while in the process of getting a divorce, how soon can one start dating, or does one have to wait until the divorce is final?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian, and I never waited until the divorce was final, but did wait until one was filed which is more than what I can say for him.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Malachi 2:16: “I hate divorce, says the LORD God of Israel.” According to the Bible, marriage is a lifetime commitment. “So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate” (Matthew 19:6). God realizes, though, that since marriages involve two sinful human beings, divorces are going to occur. In the Old Testament, He laid down some laws in order to protect the rights of divorcees, especially women (Deuteronomy 24:1-4). Jesus pointed out that these laws were given because of the hardness of people’s hearts, not because they were God’s desire (Matthew 19:8).
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think that is an individual choice. It's what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't be in a hurry to start another relationship, but that's just me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say it depends on how long you've been seperated (physically not just emotionally) and what the hold up on the divorce is. If you've been seperated a good 6 months or more and the divorce is emminent just holding off on filing for financial reasons or something than it shouldn't be an issue. If you seperated a week ago and don't know if you want to file for divorce or someone in the relationship is still holding on to the notion that you're getting back together than NO. While dating someone new might be a "Yo, we're over" message at least have the tact to tell them in person and let it sink in with the other person before you start flaunting your new flame around.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would think definitely after the divorce is final. I'm actually not sure of how long sameone should wait. I would ask God and let Him guide me. Pray in the right person, the person God wants to be in your life.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think that one should not date until the divorce is final. Having a religion which is against divorce in the first place I think only makes this more essential. IMHO to keep a good image of a honest woman, you/the woman should wait until she is single again to get back in the "market". I don't know the details of your situation but it is running a risk of giving him ammunition that you may have had this relationship going on when you were married and that you left your ex for this new guy. Even if he is doing it, you will likely look back and be proud of yourself for taking the higher road. :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• dont answer a question with scripture the person knows enough of that being a christian already.. just either give an answer kindly or shut up.. id wait til final
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am going through a divorce and will not get into the finding another mate thing for a while. I need time to go through healing. It is suggested NOT to jump into another relationship right away but allow time for healing and growth in your life. About 2 yrs is best. Yet I know some do not want to wait that long... it is just wise to.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Lovingmy3girls: I know those scriptures well... so does 35yoamom.... however you do not know the whole background story of the divorces that are happening. So throwing scripture out does a disservice when as a christian who is going through a divorce needs encouragement :-)
    Just saying be wise in what you put out there! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I feel like it is up to the person. Some divorces can take years and years -- personally I don't feel like it does anyone good to spend those years just waiting. If its truly over with the person you are divorcing, and steps are being taken to make that legally official, I say go for it. Personally I spent the last 6months of being married, getting over my husband, and the situations that led to getting divorced (including abuse). Once the papers were signed and we no longer had to deal with each other I was ready to date and did before the alotted time was up that allowed the judge to sign the papers making it official.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010