My mom said she'd babysit and then backed out.

This is a real question, Im not saying Im right on this! I really dont know.
My mom said she'd watch my kids Sat night. but the person I was going with backed out. So then I started looking for someone else to with, but she made plans herself and said she can't babysit Friday or Saturday. Am I wrong for being upset that she changed her mind about watching the kids. I still wanted to go out, just not with that same person... She always says she'll babysit to make me happy at that moment then when I'm ready to leave she says "can you take the kids with you?" it really upsets me. I know they're mine! but I wish she'd stop saying yes if she doesn't mean it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• well try your anut
    jade40089

Answer by jade40089 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Find another sitter.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• She might not realize what she's doing. Try sitting down with her and asking her politely about it.
    tamiol

Answer by tamiol at 2:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Just really talk to her and ask her why she does this and how it's hurtful to you. She may not realize it is hurtful (tho she should) but tell her it's not right to do this to you over and over.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am in the same boat and I just stopped asking her to baby sit. I got tired of trying to find a sitter at the last moment or just dragging a very, tired, cranky child out with us. I find other ways around using my mom. As much as I would like for her to spend time with my child, for some reason she backs out, but will take my sister's kid any time day or night no matter what. I wish you luck in finding peace with this issue and finding another sitter.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would get a new babysitter. She might feel obligated so she says yes. Just start hiring a babysitter and she can come over if she wants to see the kids. After awhile she may offer if she really wants to watch them.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Well, she has every right to back out unfortunately. Next time she offers to babysit, ask her to make a serious commitment. Ask her if she plans on backing out this time, or if you can count on her actually babysitting. I would search for a new babysitter, although...i know how great free childcare is. But, it would be good to have backup just in case.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• She is wrong for accepting to watch her grand kids than changing her mind at the last minute like that. Find someone else to babysit. Don't ask her anymore. You might be shocked to see that she starts offering when you no longer ask lol. Happens all the time.
    Queen2245

Answer by Queen2245 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't ask my parents to keep my children much unless it's a doctor's appt or something. But the two times I have she got invited to do something and I had to cancel my plans both times. But then says "you can always count on me to watch the boys". And when it's been necessity that's true, but never if it's social. I would either make child friendly plans or find another sitter.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010