How often should you replace a flat iron?

I have a CHI flat iron I purchased about 4 years ago. I don't know if my hair is becoming more unruly, or if my iron is losing its strength?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 2:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• it could be from thermal damaging, but if you feel it's going it's time to let it go. I don't replace mine until I notice that they are starting to go. The heat setting won't heat properly, or the ceramic plates are starting to wear, etc all all signs that it might be time to get a new one.

I'd say try a new flat iron and see if that helps. Also try a few protein treatments to restore some of the health to your hair from any damage it may have caused and try a thermal protectant spray to protect against it heat.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• every few years
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Usually the cord or banging the plug part hitting floor will damage it. That sounds like mine when I threw it out.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Usually about once a year. I don't spend $100 on a flat-iron, so when the ceramic starts wearing off of the plates, I toss it and get a new one.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• OMG...I have extremely straight hair and I get so upset when people want to straighten their hair! I would LOVE to have curly hair! Sob......
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Every year or more maybe.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• mine always broke before then, if it still just as hot i bet your hair is just damaged.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2010