Does anyone still

have old fashion values? I see alot about tolerance but i think tolerance and acceptance are 2 seperate things.

tolerance is the ability to accept the existence of something while still disapproving of it
(according to Wikipedia)

We dont have the right to harm anyone or treat them poorly due to their beliefs but we dont have to accept what they do as right. We can teach our kids what is right and what we believe is wrong. Many times people think others need to accept others behavior. I disagree. I will treat all people with respect but I will not say their behavior is ok.

Just a bit of a vent since I got jumped on for giving my opinion and standing up for my morals.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good for you, be proud!!!
    We have tolerated and accepted ourselves into being the least considered, where everything, in our own country is concerned...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Actually, you aren't alone. There are many of us still clinging to our values and doing our best to raise our children well.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You definatley arent alone.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I definitely agree with you!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The US is a melting pot of different cultures, religions, manners and regionalisms. Not too long ago, someone here posted a ? re the use of the terms Mam and Sir, which is not something I, a woman born in the 50s and raised in CA, heard in my home. We were taught to use Mr and Mrs, and I still mainly adhere to those terms. In some cultures, burping at the table after a good meal, is considered a compliment to the cook.

Whose culture, beliefs and standards should be considered the model to follow in a society and country that is not homogeneous?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think Mr. or Mrs/ Sir or Mam isnt the problem..usaully the problem is no respect shown to adults. I would be ok with either of those.

We dont have to all agree with everyone. I personally think it is immoral to have an open marriage, to have more children while on welfare, to watch porn, to rack up debt and file bankrupt, to choose to be a stay at home mom and get welfare to make it possible.

I would never be disrespectful to people but just because their decision isnt directly affecting me right now does not mean my beliefs are wrong. Individual decisions often end up have an effect on society. I can be respectful and still disagree with their choices. If you dont stand for something you will fall for anything!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i don't think the issue is so much tolerance versus acceptance - acceptance doesn't necessarily mean you like something either - it means that you understand it is out of your control. tolerance insinuates a little bit of resistance where acceptance is just no longer resisting what is - the difference is mainly to the person doing the tolerating or accepting - there is more peace of mind in acceptance.

the issue in my mind is treatment of others, respect for others, regardless of one's own opinions about someone else's choices. this is where society seriously lacks.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Most of us stand for something and believe in something.- the problems are highlighted when individuals disagree with each others' stance. There are plenty of "My way or the highway people" who appear to have the inability to respectfully let others stand for what they believe in; live and let live so to speak.

Just look at religious beliefs........

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think that I truly do accept and tolerate other people and their opinions. The only time I get upset with people who think differently than I do is when they aggressively try to get me to see things their way. Let me believe what I believe, and you can believe what you believe. Just don't try to force me to do things your way, and we won't have a problem.
    piscesmommy123

Answer by piscesmommy123 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have values...but I distance myself from being "old-fashioned", because those viewpoints tend to linger a bit too close to the borderline between disapproval and bigotry.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 5:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2010