Since I see someone doesn't agree with me...I want to know who does. Do you agree that if you are set on breastfeeding your baby, that daddy can find other ways to bond until at least 6 weeks after you have established a good supply?

Or is bottle feeding the absolute ONLY way in this whole world that a dad could ever possibly bond with his baby? I mean even if it interferes with nursing and even if you are set on nursing and even if baby develops nipple confusion or you find you can't pump well and have to formula feed. Do you think non of that matters, that dad MUST feed baby at ALL costs?
I ask because I tried to tell a mom that he can bond in other ways. And that she needs to wait 6 weeks, then, she can pump or whatever and let dad bottle feed if he must. And I was voted down, so, I was curious who agreed with me and who thinks I am wrong on this.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 2:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I EBF and DH is extremely bonded to our baby. He wears her a lot. He plays with her. He changes her, reads stories, puts her to bed... If someone can't figure out how to bond with a baby other than feeding then that person probably shouldn't have kids.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• There are plenty of other ways for Daddy to bond with his babies. My DH bonded with all 3 of mine and they were breastfed until at least 4 months.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Daddy's can bond in other ways. Feeding a baby is not the only way that you bond with your child. Yes it is one of the ways. Any body can feed the baby, but it takes a truly special person to bond with their child in other ways.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• no
    ****" i do not think dad MUST feed babt at ALL costs:******

but......again to each her own
    i breast fed, he wanted to feed her too, i breast feed until she was good and used to it (me too) we got a routine
    when i was ready to go out of house and moving around more (c section) i pumped and he feed her
    out daughter had to problem with bood or bottle
    so that worked for us

as for voting down, i have been voted down for less drama topics as breast feeding vs bottle
    LOTS of people get all up tight about it

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh there are TONS of other ways to bond... and some don't even have to do anything other than BE daddy! Lol, our little guy is such a stinker! He would ONLY eat for me for a few months. He actually refused to barely eat when he started daycare and I went back to work, but he finally got used to them... but at home mommy was still the ONLY one he would eat for. Lol.
    Now it is okay if daddy wants to feed him.... but in the beginning those two were best buds from square one. One look from baby to daddy and daddy to baby and they were connected. It was truly an amazing sight. :)
    They are STILL two peas in a pod too. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I never really considered feeding a bonding experience. It's a biological nessessity. Bonding came through playing with the child, reading stories and comforting it when its upset.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think that there will be lots of time for father & child to bond over the next 18 years. I breastfed & never bottle fed & DD i very bonded with her daddy. They do have a different relationship though. I am her nurturer, her shoulder to dry on, the person she tells all ehr secrets too. He's more of a teacher & more disciplinary...and they do lots of neat & fun things together. We each have our different ways of bonding with her. I think it's important that children get to have all those different forms of bonding, i believe it will help them out with human relations later in life. Who feeds the baby doesn't have much to do with a stronger bobd, like they are going to remember who held their bottle when they are older...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My husband didn't feed my daughter anything but water and juice the whole time that I breastfed... And even then, no bottle, she only drank out of a cup... but... everyday when my hubby got home from work, he would grab her and put her on his chest and watch tv. while I went and showered and took care of myself... I actually now that I think of it, never carried her for no reason, I left that to daddy... They bonded just fine...
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Considering DH wasn't even physically able to care for DD until she was three months old, then again unable for another six weeks when she was six months old, and at 22 months she is a complete Daddy's girl, I'd say there are a large number of tiny ways for Dad to bond with baby. Time put in, doing anything at all, even if it's just letting the baby nap on his chest, is going to result in a closer connection than if he hadn't spent that time with the baby.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Cuddling is just as bonding as feeding. No reason that Dad can't snuggle in between feedings.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010