When is it time to stop trying to make my DD take a nap?

she is almost 3 and WILL NOT stay in her bed let alone her room but she is falling asleep before dinner. I have done everything short of locking her in her room in the afternoons. Do I give up and just MAKE her stay awake until bed time or do I keep forcing the nap issue. Napping while I make dinner is not an option. She already has trouble going to bed at night and sleeping that late doesn't help. She will nap every few days because she is exhausted from never sleeping. She goes to bed at 8 but is up til 10:30 or later and is awake by 6 am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would tell her that she has to go into her room and stay there for a quiet time for you and for her. She will most likely fall asleep if she is told that she has to stay there. Otherwise you can try and keep her awake and send her to bed early if she is tired.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the child, my daughter is almost 3 and she still nees a nap most of the time. My son who's 4 1/2 doesn't always take one but he has quite time everyday at nap time, meaning he is in his room playing quietly or watching cartoons and if he's tired he goes to sleep if not he just plays until nap time is over. HWa tworkis for my kids is they're having trouble falling asleep is I lay them down infront of the tv and put on a movie and they are usually out by the end and I pick them up and put them to bed.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• have you tried switching everything off and going to her room with her and reading a book while you cuddle? just make it peaceful (aka boring) and stay with her...it'll take longer the first few times, but soon you'llbe able to sneak away faster... :)
    also try putting her down for her nap an hour later then you've been trying...my DD just switched to naping an hour later (i only figured this out after a week of no-napping/screaming fits and passing out at 4pm from sheer exhaustion) but now when i put her down an hour later then normal for her nap she goes down peacefully
    also try investing in some books on cd to listen to while winding down
    :)
    LaughterHugs

Answer by LaughterHugs at 2:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think she is done with naps. For my kids, this was a huge transition. I remember blasting the music so my son wouldn't fall asleep on the car ride home from daycare. Try to push her a little so she falls asleep after dinner. She is in an adjustment time. You'll get through it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My 3 year old rarely naps anymore. I would cut out the nap.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My 4 year old stop taking naps around 18 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter will be 3 in december, and I stopped giving her naps. If she doesn't take one before 3, then I make her stay up until bed time. (which is normally an hour earlier when she doesn't nap). If she's tired, she'll nap, but most times she doesn't bother, and I don't enforce it. Then again she'll sleep 12-13 hours at night, so she's not really lacking for sleep.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• okay I say "make her stay up", but honestly it's more like I just don't give her a down time, and try to keep her active or motivated instead. lol. If she passes out she passes out and I deal with it later, but very rarely does that happen. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If she's not napping well, it's probably because she's done with napping.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have tried the 'room time' she won't stay in there. I spend the entire hour and a half putting her back in. It's not peaceful for anyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2010