Why is ther not a nation wide standard for school lunch?

Our schools lunches are awesome and there is a ton of voices and the price is good. I here other parents say how awful and unhealthy and expensive their school lunches are. I just don't understand how they can all be so different. Seems like there should be some set standard. I guess we are lucky. Even a 2 hour drive away int he same state my friends school only offers one hot entree or PB&J and 4 sides. Our school offers 2 hot, one cold, one vegetarian and PB&J and has 6 side choices. Y0u pick 2. Todays menu was:
CHANG’S ORANGE CHICKEN RICE BOWL
FIESTA BEEF & CHEESE NACHOS
PBJ'WICH
SENSATIONAL CHEF SALADS
VEGGIE TERIYAKI BURGER
Veggie du Jour
Mini Asian Eggroll
Groovy Green Garden Salad
Cool Fruit Chillers
Crispy Fresh Fruit
Cheese Sticks (like string cheese not fried)

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in

• It's because of th efederalstandard. THye count french fries as a vegetabel here. They basically have 2 choices and a salad. There lunches are $1.40 a day. They serve the most minimal wich is a shame. They have high participation but that is because most families get free or reduced lunches here and many cannot afford alternatives. It is sad. I would love to see more healthy choices and more fruits an dactual vegetables tha tare not covered in syrup or butter served,.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We just moved to a district that has this same type of lunch menu and I was amazed! My son is super picky and would still rather take his lunch on most days but I agree that all schools should have these options.At my sons school though the price is $1.85 a day almost $40 a month and even though we do not qualify for reduced lunch we honesly can't really afford to put that much money into him eating at school every day. I do keep money in his account just in case something comes up and he needs a school lunch though.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We dont have choices but the menu has alot of variety. The kids love Johnny Marzetti day (like stirred up lasagna), chicken and noodles, chili, tacos, bbq smokies, sub on a bun, pizza,
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Because the funds just aren't available to most schools.
    Today, our lunch menu is: Soft Shell Tacos; Salsa, Lettuce, Cheese, Tomato; Spanish Rice; Mandarin Oranges; Cookie
    Monday, it will be: Beef Ravioli; Peas & Carrots; Fruit Mix; Bosco Stick
    Tuesday is Sausage gravy and biscuits, Wed. is chicken tenders, Thurs. is hot ham & cheese.

My kids pack their lunches daily.

Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Our lunches are $2/day. We have over 80% participation in the lunch program. That is really good compared to alot of other schools. The kids love the school lunches. My dd only takes her lunch if she just naturally dislikes that food. She always packs a lunch on chili day but I love her schools chili!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Our are 1.75. I forgot to add that. We do have to send his lunch once a week but it doesn't compare to what he can buy there. KWIM? It's a good price for what you get. Breakfast is 1 so 2.75 a day is 55 a month for 2 meals at school.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• There is a national standard. ALL school lunches have to follow FEDERAL standards but they get to chose how and what to serve under those standards. As long as the meals meet the federal standards the schools can do whatever they want. My sons school district just got over $3 million for school lunches from the federal government.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I dont know, I heard people said that a child should get a good balance meal. That should include schools too. It's all some kids ea.tSchools should do better by their students. After all they do get paid for teaching and they do get the school food free or at a discount. They should make it count for our kids.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 4:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• im sure not all schools can afford it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010