cracked scabbed nipples...please help

I am not Breastfeeding but my nipples are cracked and scabbed over they hurt like crazy. If I was breastfeeding I would understand why This was going on my since I am not I am confused. I keep putting Lanolin cream on them which burns due to the scabs. Help me this really hurts

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 5:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You poor thing. I have only experienced what you are going through when I was nursing. Have you called your doctor?
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yes I called my doctor and she told me just to keep putting the lanolin cream on them and it would get better but it has been 3 days and no signs of it clearing up it hurts to wear a bra but i wouldnt dare take it off for fear that my shirt will brush up on them and bring me to tears.
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 5:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know this sounds crazy, but you keep refering to it as lanolin "cream". Pure lanolin, which by the way should NOT burn, is not a cream. It looks more like patroleum jelly (Vaseline). And of course I am no doctor, but if you have cracked nipple and not recenty started lactating, you need to maybe consider weather you have additional problems, like a yeast infection or skin infection, eczema, extreme dry skin from the cold windy weather. I hope that this helps, in any case, go see your doc soon if this is getting worse or not better VERY soon. Just for a side not, there are only 2 PURE lanolin ointments out there that you can usually buy over the counter. Lansinoh (purple tube) and Ucerin (white tube).
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 5:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Put vaseline on your nipples and tuck some soft nursing pads into your bra. The vaseline will give lubrication while the nursing pads provide some soft cushioning. I recommend Lansinoh brand pads. You could even cut up a soft washcloth and put those in instead. I hope you clear up soon!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would insist on going to see the doctor, that does not sound right to me. There are prescription ointments that they can presribe for cracked nipples - ask about it. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Even without breastfeeding, this could be a yeast infection.
    Perhaps make an appointment with your OB?
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 8:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008